Combines Skunk Plucker looks like a keeper

col

Hey there DonA, the reason we get bigger yields in Europe is not due to our subsidies but to the climate and the soils, in Scotland we don't have to irrigate our Grain and we get yields of wheat near 10t_ha ( the world record for wheat yield was set in scotland) We also have a longer growing season and more daylight hours (especially in Scotland) which helps to increase the yields again. However we cannot double crop our land and have to use sound rotations to keep yields up. We need every tonne we can get at present prices. And by the way don't try and tell me that the Americans don't get subsidies, what about crop insurance and all the other bail outs that they get (If you are Canadian you are forgiven). I may be wrong about that but it would be good to hear from the horses mouth what payments you get from your "leaders". Also even with subsidies, high yields etc, most grain farmers can't make money anyway due to the high cost of land, fuel, machinery and labour. On the subject of combines we have two 460's coming this year so that we can cut our 3500 acres of grain and canola, I'm looking forward to them getting here. The 480's good as well though, 60t_hr in wheat last year on demo, however we need two combines so we went for the 460 instead.

johnboy

plowboy you can get a lot of grain off if you can keep going but murphy always seems to be waiting for you.in some crops this year i was getting over 72 tonnes per hour (R72) in sorghum (milo) but my daily average was always down not because of the combine but just keeping the grain away can be a huge problem in heavy crops.just a comment on the 480s price,the last time i asked they wanted just over $400-000 australian. thats a lot of custom work. happy harvest john

plowboy

I made a mistake on my previous post about grain carts. The 485 with bin extension holds 350 bushels, not the 1000 bu. implied by the previous figures. At 4000 bph, which is a combine speed of 4.69 mph., the cart must be back in 5 min. and 15 sec. If the combine is empty on the end where the trucks are and the new 22 inch unloading auger on the cart can dump 1000 bu. in 90 sec. 5.25 min. minus 1.5 min. unload time leaves 3.75 min. If you allow 1 min. to leave the combine and be in unload position beside the semi truck, you now have 2.75 min. to catch the combine. To harvest 350 bu. of 250 bpa corn with a 12 row head the combine must travel 2,174 feet or .41 miles. This distance must be covered by the tractor and cart in the remaining 2.75 min. which requires an ave. speed of 8.95 mph. PS Don't forget about Murphy's "Gravity"

johnboy

plowboy you also forgot to factor in the neighbor just come over for a look factor. john

SilverTurnedGreen

... and just when are you supposed to eat (or take a pause for the cause)IJ Then there's refuelling, maintenance and (heaven forbid) break-downs! Seems to me that one should interview retired fighter pilots to man the grain buggies! :)