Combines 465 in mud

TJ

Farm boy, interesting story. Too bad it was not a 460 so the comparison would be fair. Or the farmer rent a 9750STS with tracks. Deere makes them too. Expensive, just like Caterpillar. No one will question the floatation capability of tracks vs tires. Tracks have thier place. Unfortunately, with Caterpillar the combine has a different model number and chassis for tracks. Deere can add them without having to replace the entire combine.

jp

I was reading some Deere literature that came in the mail a few weeks ago and saw where Deere can equip its combines with tracks at the factory. Is there some reason why I have never seen this before or even heard of itIJ With the huge amount of 9000 and 9010 combines built you'd think at least a few would be out there.

Rooster

let us not start jumping to conclusions! Cat combines, with or without tracks, have the same frame. The only difference is the presence of the mobile trac system running gear vs. common singles or duals and their respected final drives. The Cat tracs are intended to be fixed and not a modular option and are intended to be a value added replacement to tires and with all of the same mobility characteristics as tires (speeds are very comperable, less 4 mph due to the tracs, traction is improved, as well as floatation). You will not get any of the Deere combine tracs to perform as well as the Cat tracs do. Deeres are simply modular for extreme conditions and really provide no value in the long run. Beside, Deere does not make them and they usually roll the tracs off when turning on pavement, never a problem for the Cat MTS.

TJ

Rooster, I simply stated that Deere to has tracks. When we recieved ours they came from the factory, not from Griptrak or some other company. In the long run, the ability to switch from tracks to wheels helps the sale of such an expensive option. If the second and third buyer of a combine do not want tracks, they have an option with Deere. There is no such flexibility with Caterpillare.

FarmBuddy

I'll paste some comments into here also. The JD track system requires bolting a transfer case that is about 5" wide between the end of the original axle

farm_boy

lets not go nuts here and say that deere makes tracks for their combine. I think that a more truthful statement would be that deere has tracks "available" for their combine. Dont you think that that is a fair statmentIJ To say they make tracks for their combines you could also say that they make tires. Just cause they are a factory option doesnt mean that they make them. As far as not being able to make a fair comparison believe me this guy craps green. If he could have gotten a hold of a set of tracks he would have. The point is that that 2000 9750 was looking good parked in the farmyard and that cat motoring through the field. I can Almost gaurentee that it was the only machine running, no moving, in that county that day

farm_boy

The reason you have not seen any is that they are a big waste of money. Buy a cat if you want tracks