Combines combine settings

skinnyfarmer

I don't know where you might obtain one, but when the we bought our first 9600 in 1991 the dealer gave us a video that Deere produced that primarily discussed how to adjust the machine for different situations.

hsad

Maybe it's possible to help you. I've got an abstract with combine settings for various crops. Send me an e-mail and I'll have a look.

John

Good luck! I asked that exact question to the Novaratis_NK people at a meeting within the past month because my Hyper'd N6 was having cob problems this past fall, white in particular. I was told that he owns a 2388 and has the exact same problems that we have as does the TR's and the STS's. And that it is in the hybrids and their breeding. The beans, you will be seeing from now on will be pod dry and stem green and the corn cob is going to crush into small pieces easier, and that is an across the industry move. My best guess is we may see some new developments in the chaffer and sieve area on the cob. And the green stems, your guess is as good as mine but hypering it seems to work there.

Silver_Bullet

I'm with John on what he said about having dry beans and green stems. For now, plant breeders have found that to get the best yield in beans the stems need to stay green as long as possible, As for the corn. Varieties make a big difference. I have gone from one variety and have some pieces of cob in the grain sample then move to another variety with the same moisture and leave the combine set the same and have a perfect sample. So after seeing that a few times, I decided it has to be the variety.

Tom_Russell

My corn_bean yields the past few years have been extremely good but they are getting harder to combine. Would I be willing to sacrifice yield to get an easier to pick varietyIJ Probably not. It would be nice to break up green bean stems so they dont plug the space behind the cage. Anyone have any ideasIJ My corn always has a fair amount of cob bits, but every load in recent memory has graded No 1. If its good enough for grain buyers, its good enough for me. Tom in MN

T__langan

Same here. We have cut corn that we have derned near pulled our hair out trying to set the machine to prevent cob breakage and drive to the next field and roll whole and half cobs out without changing a thing. It is definately variety that makes the biggest difference. And dryer corn is always easier to accomplish whole cobs than high moisture. We have never had troubles with green stem beans though - they go through our machine as well as dry, brittle stems - perhaps taking a little more power but no rumbling or slugging.

tbran

Marvin. As the posts below state, I think the small cob pieces are a fact of life dependant on variety. AS you know if it weighs and sizes like a corn kernal....it goes in the bin. Hyper has done some work with a slotted screen. We made one to run a day and didn't get it in right so had to abandon the project due to time constraints. I am planning to build one for this season. Will let you know as to progress. Iknow it will yield a cleaner sample but don't know if it will have the capacity neeeded. As to soybeans, All forward 3_4 or 1" bars, the heilical extention trick -click on tips to your left then upgrades - then P3 and look at the pics.- prevents a lot of the double threshing. On the R52 add the two top helicals that are missing on top of the inside separator cage. The cut paddles _ extended bars are A NECESSITY for green stem soybeans or any hard thresing crop. We make them rather than buy them for the older machines and use only four with four rows of cyl bars replacing every other paddle. See this in the upgrades as well. Shock kits are a must as well. If you are looking for 'super performance' in the '62-'72 try a separator grate cover. Please post any questions adn let us know as to progress _results. Glad to hear your interest. Some guys looking for paycheck_sundown_least path of resistance. Congrats!

whizz

Never driven an 8570 but if you start on wheat settings you wont go far wrong. You can use a lot air as it is heavier than wheat. Their will be a lot of tall straw and if it lodges you may run into problems if you have a short table. In Europe we have powerflow tables which make it easy but if you have a conventional auger table you may find the auger grabs the straw before it is cut

Goober

I have done fall rye with my 850. Start off with wheat settings and you will be very close. I run an airfoil chaffer so I never had to adjust any settings. You do need a little nerve though if you are putting all the straw through. For the first hour I was prepared for it to plug at any minute because the straw had to be six feet tall and the farmer wanted all of it. But I cut it about 5" stubble and it went through the machine with absolutely no problems. The windrows of straw were so big that they almost were as high as the back of the combine is from the ground. Only running a 15' head! I never have had so much straw go through the combine so easy. It was perfectly dry and they baled 140 small square bales to the acre. It was enjoyable combining. This farmer is organic and plants rye to clean up fields with quack grass and it really worked there was no quack in that field. Some of his other crops are terrible for weeds.