Combines Cat 480

JHEnt

Don't get caught up in sales promotions thinking that a "class" means much. The "class" of a combine has nothing to due with throughput capacity but only graintank size and engine horsepower. The fact is if a company wanted to they could build something the size of an old JD 45, put a huge grain tank on it, a monster engine and call it a "Class 7" machine. look at the diffence between the JD 9400 and 9500. They added factory grain tank extensions, upped the engine and wolla- a bigger class combine. Before anyone wants to correct me I do know they put shorter walkers in the 9400 than the 9500 but walker area has nothing to due with "class" size.

Ilnewholland

I'm not sure about the 480 but the R-72 and 9750 are class 6+ combine's. They are just big enough to use a 12 row corn head. I think in the next 2 or 3 years we will see true class 7 and maybe 8 combines that cost $400000.00. I just hope they still make a few small one's yet!

farm_boy

They classify the 9750 and the r72 a class 7. The cat 480 is cassified a class 7 just because there is no class 8. everybody gets caught up in the classes. IF the Gleaner R72 is a class 7, then there is now doubt that the 480 is a class 8. Dont get me wrong the Gleaner r72 is a corn eating fool and I spent several years with agco and think that that combine in probably in the top 3 combines in the world, but just doesnt have the name to back it up unfortunatley, anyway if the R72 is a class 7 that 480 is definetly a class 8. They need to get a class 8. From what I understand that designates classes, and Im sure Ill get corrected if I am wrong, is HP, cleaning area, seperation area, and bin size. So anyway the r72, the 9750 and the 480 and the 460 for that matter are considered class 7 machines

JHEnt

I will stand by my earlier post. "Class" as used by manufacturers is determined by graintank capacity and engine horsepower. I believe Deere was the first to advertise the "class" size of a combine back in the 1970's.

Rooster

No where is it "written" what actual specifications are used to determine a class of combine. Classes are determined by speculation and speculation alone. Combine classification has never made through the validation process required by ASAE. Typically: grain tacnk capacity, horsepower and threshing and separation area make up the mystical combine class size. There really is no need for such a class. Tractors are not classified in any other way that row-crop and primary tillage (who says you can't do both with either sizeIJ). The size of a combine is obvious, look at the threshing and seperation area and horsepower and those traits will easily tell you the capacity of the machine in question. Heck, just look at horsepower raitings, that's an easy trait to use as a machine identifier. 365hp will easily out perform 325-330, just as 330 will out perform 290. I know that is simple terms but, its true.

farm_boy

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt the organization called PAMI classify combinesIJ your right on the fact that the classification of combines doenst mean a darn thing, but I will have to disagree on the fact that of a 325hp out doing a 290 hp. walker to walker machine yes, rotary to rotary yes, walker to rotary no, Doenst matter whos combine it is a rotary will consume more horspower that a conventional combine, so a 290 hp walker machine could_can stay up with the 325 hp machines, like a 290hp cat 460_5 will run all day with the 325 hp 9750IJ Am i wrong in my philosphyIJ

JHEnt

I would agree that you should not think that a rotor no matter the manufacturer will require much more HP to remain competetive with a conventional.