Combines challenger tractors

Tank

Have you looked at the Case STX 440 Quad-Trac they look to me to be the best of both worlds. I have not seen one operate or even seen one up close I have not heard of one in Ontario but I am sure there are some. Just my two cents.

Ed_Boysun

If you are going to be turning under a big load with a track tractor you must let the drawbar swing!!! I have an older 75 and pull 45' of chisel plow in my sticky gumbo soil, I really don't have problems turning if I let the drawbar swing. They have done several improvements to the Challengers that shouuld improve steering since mine, namely : Wider track stance. Higher torque steering motor. Most important I think - they borrowed "stole" (;-) JD's idea for a wider swing drawbar. Bottom line - I don't think steering should really be a problem with the newest 95E. You are correct however that if you get to close to a wet spot the closest track will start to spin and because there is no differential like we are used to the track away from the wet spot will continue to pull at the same speed, but because it maintains traction it will tend to point you towards the wet spot. HOWEVER you will never get anywhere near as close to the slough with your 4WD as with a cat. If you stay as far away from the slough as you usually do you should have no trouble. That's the theory - now for the hard part - actually do it :). I could tell you that I've never been stuck with mine, but I'm superstitous - so I won't. Ed in MT

Silver_Bullet

Check out the CNH Quadtrack. I don't personally have experience with them but I do know they are used extensively in construction and that they are the only tracked tractor that can turn under load and maintain power.

deereslayer

the quad trac case is not built up to the standards of the cat95E.it does pull better in the turns in certain conditions, but the life expectancy is just not there. had some down here in nebraska with a lot of final drive problems. rebuilding them every year is an expensive option. letting the drawbar swing will really enhance the turning capabilities, but this is just one drawback compared to all of the benefits you get in the two belt design compared to the quad trac. belt wear is a large expense also, not uncommon to replace them every year. cat belts will wear for around 5000 hours.cat tried out a quad trac design when if was developing the challenger series, why go to the extra expense and complication of four drive systems when you can accomplish the same results with two. you will also see a substantial parasitic loss of hp when you have to go through another drop box to get the power to the extra set of final drives. that is not to mention the amount of petro these quad trac beasts eat up, at 1.20 for farm diesel down here that if getting to be a ligitiment concern. best way to find out if it will work for you is to get finning out to demo you a tractor, this will answer most all of your questions. the proof will then be in the pudding

bulldogger

Can anyone comment on how a Deere 8410T would compare to a Cat 55IJ We are considering purchasing a track tractor of this size to do tillage ,pto and 3pt work on our farm. Both dealers of course claim to have the superior unit and so far quoted prices are close. Thankyou in advance.

deereslayer

what i have found is that the jd dealers will turn up the ponies of their 8410t, have some in my area that are turning 280pto hp.the ch 55's are only turning 240 at most, both can hold the horsepower to the ground, a true testimony to how well the belt concept is. how long will the powertrain last in an overhorsepowered tractorsIJ the only complaints i have heard is the rough ride when taking them down the road and the track life if only one season. cat still has a better overall machine if you want to own one for the long haul, more than four years. dealer in our area offers 5yr_5000hour powertrain warranties on all tractors that they sell. cat may not have the electro-hydraulics or the multi-task computer in them, wait till next year, but overall the cat is better built and will last longer both in the powertrain and the undercarraige. immitation is the best form of flattery, and deere sure "imitated" cat with there track design. a lot comes down to how far are you from service in your area and does your jd dealer know anything about tracked tractors.

CATPower

If you can afford to replace belts, axles and diffs every two years, then yeah, great! I've seen and driven Challengers with 10,000 hours with original belts, engines, and drivetrain.

CATPower

If you can afford to replace belts, axles and diffs every two years, then yeah, great! I've seen and driven Challengers with 10,000 hours with original belts, engines, and drivetrain.