Combines Cat Dealer Takes STS On Trade

Redpower

I don't know about Manitoba, but south of the boarder I am seeing more and more colors on CAT lots. As my name suggests I went from CIH to the CAT lexions, and there are some other 2-3year old Axial-Flows and JD 9610's and 1 9650STS on the CAT lots as well. I think the more CAT gets into ag, and markets thier combines the more Axial-Flows and STS's you will see on thier lots. It's not too often I can say I have had no regrets, but after only 1_2 season with my 485's.....I really have no regrets at all.

roster

I think availability of the CAT combines has been limited, except in the last 6-9 months. You are starting to see a new combine or two on almost all CAT lots now. Overall, I have heard that the dealers exceeded sales expectations in the U.S. this year. Dealers are very tight lipped about actual numbers however. But did hear that over 50 machines were sold in the Dakotas this year, almost all of which were 480's. The big difference will come when the Omaha plant is operational. Pricing should change for the better, and quantity should be no problem. I think CAT is ready to be a big player- things might really take off for them if the ag economy improves, at the expense of the other makes. Deere will compete okay, but what about Gleaner and CIH-New HollandIJ Bad timing for Case-New Holland to be going through plant and model changesIJ

FarmBuddy

Pricing may not change as much as greater availability once the Omaha facility is up and running. It takes a little bit to get used to the differences with any combine, including the lexions, but once you understand these differences you begin to appreciate them more.

roster

I agree with you regarding the features of CAT combines in general over Deere, CIH etc. We are interested in them because of the perceived build quality advantage, which should translate into extended maintenance and repair intervals. We have a custom cutter operation, so that is a big issue with us. A rep told us that CAT expects the combines to run 5,000 to 6,000 hours before a significant overhaul is required - and 10,000 hours for a useful life- twice the interval of the competition. If that is reality, the cost premuim will easily be recaptured in less maintenance and extended life. We probably wouldn't keep them that long anyway, but if we could count on them in years 4-5 it may change our replacement scedule. I have talked to several salesmen and area reps at ag shows- most said that the combines should be a little cheaper after the Omaha plant is open- mostly due to labor rates. From what you are saying that may not be true. We didn't want to buy now and basically pay a premium for a unit, if they were going to reprice in the next year or two.

FarmBuddy

5,000 to 6,000 hours sounds like reasonable target to major overhaul, but it is tough to define what a significant overhaul is in terms of hours only.

deereslayer

what do you consider a major overhaulIJ i know for a fact that one season on cat augers and elevator boots and they are toast.doesn't matter if they are stainless or regular. my neighbor has had 3 sets of augers and boots in three years. dealership has been great about covering it and he seems to think they have the problem fixed. the fix came from the dealership level not from cat. they are planning on replacing cylinder bars this winter @ 1000 hours. 400 more hours than on their deere machine. the fountain auger cover finally wore through this fall at about 1000 hours. the biggest complaint they have had is the need to get price adjustments from the dealership on most all of their parts. cat is still trying to that mess straightened out. all in all they are very happy with their big machine. figure they have put almost 3million bushels of corn and wheat through it. their popcorn coop is amazed at what they can put through the machine and still get the cleanest sample of any customers. growing pains are getting smaller but are still there.

NewDeere

Well, here's a tough pill to swallow but my four 9750's have all been a nightmare once they passed the 80-100 hour mark. I don't think there is enough space on this site to list the problems. One problem machine.....hey, it happens. Two problem machines......I must be the only guy to get two lemons. Four problem machines.......I can safely say now I am a firm non-believer in the STS period !!!. The deere guys were great at trying to fix my problems, but we all just became overwhellmed. I don't know if I will run CAT's next year, or go back to 2388's, but you can be sure if this has happened to me, it will happen to others. And thus, I believe you will see a large number of STS's on CAT and CaseIH lots in the near future.

roster

That's the type of thing I want to hear about- try to cut through the sales hype and find out real world experience on the Cat's. Until now, there just hasn't been many out there. We run red, but every machine has its strengths and weaknesses. We cut wheat and other small grains, but internal parts don't seem to last as long as they should. Get about 1200 sep. hours, need $7,000 to $10,000 of work. Feeder house bearings_sprockets, PTO, cone, bars, concaves, etc. may need repair_replacement. That is the downside to me of the rotary, when a coventional will need bars and a few belts to 2,000 sep. hours.

deereslayer

forgot to mention that the original bars in their 480 are soft steel not chrome. that should make a considerable difference on the length replacement intervals. will go back in with chrome when they do it.

luke

could you please elaborate on some of the problems you had. i am interested in what the problems with the sts are. thank you