Combines 480s are they really that big

Brian

We run an R-72 in corn soybean country. We tried out a 480. It did have a little more capacity than the R-72 but in our minds no where near enough to justifiy trading. I do have a neighbor who traded his two R-62's for a 480. He is considering going back to Gleaner. His main reasons are that he didn't feel he had enough of an increase in capacity and that he was disappointed in some of the little things that went wrong with it and that the Cat dealership is so far away. He has a Gleaner dealer very close by. It will be very interesting to see if he goes back to Gleaner. Do you have extended cylinder bar kit in your R-72IJ Reverser barsIJ

ddt

We harvest around 5500 acres and traded 2 JD's (one CTS2 and one 9600) for a lex 480 for harvest of '99. Have been very pleased with capacity, performance and durability (have yet to shut down for a repair).

All_colours_turned_Yellow

In my area there aren't any pussy combines sold but I have heard alot of good things about them. When they do make them available for demonstrating I will be one of the first on board for a test run. AT present I have been running tx66 and tx68 NH combines and they make the competition, the Deeres, the Agcos, the Case IH's, the Massey's out to be nothing but "PANTY WEIGHTS", when it comes to combines and harvesting in the 21st century. In my experiences after switching to yellow after running and witnessing these other combines in the fields for over 30 years that 10 years ago the TX model combine was 10 years ahead of where the competition is today! I'm no New Holland salesman, but a farmer that considers his Tx combine purchase one of the best business decisions I have made in my farming career thus far. I used to trade combines every 2 to 3 years to always keep a fairly new machine around. In 1985 I quit paying good money for junk tin and paint. Since the development of the floating cutter bar back in the early to mid 70's the American combine manufacturers went stagnant. All they did was change the tin works a little bit, put some new stencils on, jack the price up, maybe put another bar in the concave and voila a super combine has emerged and we bought them like crazy. Not to mention, these new model combines were being built cheaper, less meat being put into the structure and the components just like today's cars and trucks. Today's combines need substance, iron in their internal structure to give them the fly wheel action to handle big wadds of tough grain. Build their structures out of steel not tin that over a short period of time fails under vibration and fatigue. All the North American combine manufacturers are guilty of this. Today's farmer has to harvest under different conditions than he did 30 years ago, the grain straw is tougher, the yields are greater, the time he has to do all this is becoming shorter, the grain itself is more fragile. Demands on today's combines has never bean greater but our manufacturers have let us down. With the majority of combine manufacturers going to rotary versions good or bad, it seems a lot of harvesting at night is shut down early because the straw gets a little damp or a little sprinkle of rain drives these rotaries out of the field prematurely because they can't function, even though the grain might still be suitable for harvesting for another hour or so. Maybe the weed herbicide didn't work as well as it should have, or a late season rain brings on a second flush of weeds and we find ourselves harvesting this crop at a snail's pace with our 21st century combine stopping every so often for a couple four hours or so to unplug the rotor straw by straw. Or maybe we have found ourselves harvesting a couple of 200bu crops back to back and find the sheet metal is just about wore through on our clean grain system, or at 600 hrs our cylinder bars, our feaderhouse chain or our strawalker bearings need collectively about 15000.00 dollars attention. What about our auger flightings on our bubble up augers needing changing after a couple of harvest seasons. All these components that have to be replaced prematurely cost the North American farmer big dollars needlessly. Instead we find ourselves trading in these new couple of year old machines for new models just to avoid these costly repairs. Today we look around with dealer lots filled with 40 or 50 used combines worth nothing and we wonder if buying a new combine is a good investmentIJIJIJIJ Well the last four years of owning and operating an European built NH tx combine has been the greatest pleasure of my life. This machine is built and designed with a Forty percent factor built into it, where every component is 40% heavier, and 40% stronger than required. Each component is designed to work hand and hand as a well balanced intrical part of a well balanced structure. This machine doesn't require special power boosting components in its engine to unload on the go because its unloading system is simple and can operate on a minimal amount of horsepower draw, even though this combine has one of the largest horsepower classes going. With a double knife drive, lateral tilting feaderhouse as standard equipment, state of the art hydraulic header and feader reverser, independent lateral tilting sieves, high inertia fine cutting and spreading straw chopper, fiber optics and computerized self diagnosis trouble shooting, big fuel efficient high horsepower engines along with the 40% built in engineering factor make this combine a suitable norm from which all North American combine makers should work from. Since the caterpillar combine is built overseas as well it probably has some or all of these features and traits mentioned above, I truly think it is worthwhile pursuing before any North American combine. While the North American combine owner is spending hours unchoking his rotor straw by straw I will remain in my air conditioned cab and push a toggle switch to allow my European technologically advanced and designed combine to hydraulically reverse the slug from my cylinder out my feederhouse. In a few minutes I can be back to combining rather than cussing, swearing, sweating and tearing the meat off my hands for the next 4 hrs. In closing I would like to say after owning and experiencing a TX combine for four years, it takes several years to completly understand all the features this combine offers and be able to utilize them to the optimum. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Dakota

I agree a lot, our combines could be build a little more lasting. How many separator hours are you putting on your TX in a yearIJ

willie

Our cylinder doesn't have the extended bar kit,the dealer didn't recomend it .

We are putting on about 400hrs. Our operating land base is spread out over six townships. We spend alot of time running the roads getting to our fields, and with moving equipment we often find ourselves getting and starting harvest some days in not the best of conditions and the tx models always seem to get the job down with good results

johnboy

If you are doing many road miles keep a close watch on the final drives as the TX66 has a big problem with them breaking here.john

Brian

I think your dealer gave you some bad advice; however, I must admit I've never harvested any of your type of crops. In case you haven't noticed extended cylinder bars are now standard equipment on the 2001 model 62-72's. In my opinon it is about darn time!!!! If I hadn't found the combine talk show and upgraded our Gleaners as suggested we would probably have switched colors by now. We just couldn't get them to perform in green tough crops; we were very close to switching. Couldn't be happier now however, these things really perform.

Canadian_Boy

So are the TX combines sold in North America just as good or is there something different about the TX combines in EuropeIJ What arae the TF combines in EuropeIJ

I'm sure the tx combine sold in Europe are the same as those sold in North America with the exception of options that might be more suitable for growing conditions tailored for Europes market. The TF model isn't available or sold in North America. Instead of walkers this machine has twin rotors out the back and depending on what size, up to 360HP. I understand these machines might be available in Australia but arn't as steamy when it comes to tough thrashing conditions similar to how any rotary machine acts under these conditions.