Combines Walker vs Rotor Question for Rooster

Rooster

Axial, transverse or twinIJ What about hybrid designsIJ Many to choose from!

Farm_Pro

I have run both walker and rotor. I find that for corn and beans the rotor gives a cleaner sample, as for small grain and needing straw to bale, the walker does a better job.

Proto

It seems to me that some people don't need the capacity of a large rotor machine. In the case where they don't have the trucks to haul away from the machine or they can't justify the expense of a large machine a walker machine is a viable option. Walkers also tend to work better if you have a lot of short rows. Everyone knows that rotor machines need to be kept full in order to keep the grain loss to a minimum, although I'm not sure if this is true of the Cat rotor machines. My 2 Proto

Vikes

I don't buy your keep a rotor full statement, why does't a walker machine need to be kept full, the threshing is still the same, if you don't keep the threshing unit full it will not thresh as well. I can understand your argument though with bailing straw. I have tried to bail straw behind a rotary before and it is really not fun.

Vikes

I don't know, what do you think of all of themIJ I like transverse myself!!

All_colours_turned_Yellow

In certain parts of the country where straw stays green, or humidity is high, weeds are a factor, walker machines out shine the rotaries hands down. It is for this reason leading combine manufactures still produce walker machines. New Holland, Caterpillar, Case IH, Massey Ferguson, Gleaner, John Deere world wide probably produce more walker machines than rotor machines. It is true when a crop is very dry and easy to harvest like soybeans or corn the rotor works good, but when wheat is 3ft. tall and flat on the ground with green weeds coming up through it give me that conventional walker machine!!!!!

2rotorsrule

If its baling you want, don't buy a rotor. As far as weeds and stuff, you havn't run TR98 or TR99 have you. It'll hold its own in weeds any day. The torque and power of these machines is amazing, and that line about not being able to combine after dark is not true with the twin rotors ANYMORE. With our TR96 yes, but not anymore. And that line about increased losses after dark, don't give me that either. The Walker design has been surpassed by a better more reliable system. The only downside is Dealer support, but in 8 years we've had one breakdown, and no we don't run new machines all the time. Thats just fact. WE never break down, and the elevator can tell when we have a custom cutter harvest something because cracking is worse and its a dirtier sample.

adam_l

I like rotors but over here they don't like the conditions too much. Deere haven't marketed the STS here. Although in the middle of the day when every thing is dry and crispy the rotor will leave a walker standing, but when the sun goes down, or later on in the season the walker just keeps plodding along at the same speed as when it was dry. This ablity to handle large quanities of damp material is why TX's and lexions are so popular in the UK.

Deere4life

We have run both Case rotaries and Deere conventionals as well as an STS. Our Deere conventional will out perform a case and our STS will out perform both in green straw as well as after dark. Green is the way to go! Dealer support is awsome.

Deere4life

we have run both walkers and rotaries, we have found that in the past our conventionals have run longer into the night and faster in green conditions. This was true until we bought our 9650 STS then it did even better that 9600.