Combines cat vs john deere

Vikes

I have run them both, and I have found the JD to be a little more unreliable, but that was in the first year. A 480 would walk a 9750. The 9750 has trouble with green material and always had a dirty grain tank. Both machines are good though. What crops do you harvest the mostIJ

9750sts

i harvest mainly wheat and barley and through in a bit of peas, lucerne, canola and vetch

bm

I've never heard of an STS having trouble with green material. In fact, that is there strongest point. The CAT is much bigger and more expensive. I'd select the Deere for the simple fact of dealer support on parts and service.

vikes

Well, I guess that I don't know what i am talking about when I say they have trouble with green material. Go ask everyone else that has run them, they do have trouble and I don't expect dealer support to be better yet, it is a new combine. I am not really parshal to any combine really, except maybe Gleaner, but this anything that John Deere makes being the BEST MACHINE, is not right.

gilly

Since our dealership sold 7 STS combines (9650STS) last year, I have had some opportunity to talk to their owners. Not a single one of them had problems in green stem beans. In fact, one customer had to have his 930F platform adjusted because he was going faster than the platform would cut the beans (full bore in 2nd, or 7.5 mph in 45 bu beans). He had no losses out of the machine. Another customer said that he turned in perfect, no % machine damage popcorn to his buyer. This customer also owns a 2166, and he said the 9650STS didnt just outrun the 2166, it chewed it up and spit it out. Just some customer feedback. Guess we have several more going out this fall. The STS is here to stay. Have a good spring fellas. Gilly

Rooster

I do not believe the 0% damage was achieved via an STS combine, no matter the model. The reason being is the Fast_tri-stream system. Popcorn, a relatively lite crop, when exposed to the the STS system, post tri-stream division, it will have such a thin mat and the concave will be run so tightly that mechanical damage will be unavoidable, an issue created by design. The fast_tri-stream concept, albeit a good one in theory, leaves much to be desired. If you do not believe, look at the feederhouses and rotor entry of a CIH and NH TR, the feederhouse conforms to the width of the rotor(s),thus, feeding naturally through the rotor(s). With the STS, the feederhouse is designed to be a common fit to both conventional (tengential) and rotor (axial) machines. However, the fit to the rotor machines is not in line with common (expected) design. The tri-stream sup[ports difficult machine setting and ultimately an increased chance of mechanical damage due to such thin crop mats being fed into the rotors.

gilly

I am sorry you don't believe me, but I am just repeating what the customer told our salesman last fall. This happened on a couple occasions, and none of his loads exceeded 1% machine damage. Its a great combine. You might want to try one sometime. Gilly

Rooster

I have, many times. Even ran a retactible finger from the flex head auger and did a considerable amount of damage (took our the tines on the rotor and shattered the separation grates (about $8,000 plus in damages but, I didn't care, it was a demo). There are some nice concepts on the new 50 series combines but, there are jsut as many loose ends that needs tied up.

gilly

I respect your opinion. Every machine has good days and bad days. I am sorry your STS experience was not a good one, but thank you for giving it a shot. In Northern Indiana, the STS has become a farmer favorite. And, if there is ever any problem with one of them, we, as a dealer, along with JD factory reps, stand behind each combine 24_7_365. That is something that I am not certain the competition puts as much emphasis on. I am not bashing NH, Cat, CaseIH, or Gleaner. All I am trying to convey is that Deere dealers are there to make sure each customer gets the most for his money. I have heard of a few cases where JD dealers did not provide appropriate help to customers, but I will assure you that those cases are isolated and unfortunate. Just dont rule out an STS combine in future years. Deere has put years of development into their products, and they continue to do so. The best will get better. So, the next time you go to buy, give your JD dealer a call. It may surprise you. Now, I will step off my soapbox. Whose nextIJ

john

how can anybody buy new combines at these commodity prices unless theres lots of government support.Only dream of new machines