Combines What year did Caterpillar start with combinesIJ

Jd9750

1997 was the year bacause that was also the same time they were introduced at Ohio Farm Science Review.

john

If you want a older cat claas combine the mf8460 was a claas combine conventional and theresa a few straight claas machines around also

deereslayer

cat first started making combines in the late 1800s. few people know that is where cat got its start. in about 1936 they sold all of there patents to deere and co for $1. most deere guys will deny this is where they got there start in combines but it is in the history books. they wanted to concentrate on the emerging heavy equipment market. but to answer your question 1997 was the year they were introduced with the first models sold in 1998. most all of the first models should have been updated with the changes the new combines have. the only difference on the older machines the sides were in yellow rather than grey. look over the grain handling system, augers have a tendedcy to were out faster because of the increased capacity the machines can handle.

D

They have long been manufactured in Europe by Claas, likely for 30 years if not longer. Cat just marketed them here in North America under their Cat name, and the Cat tractor went over to Europe, marketed under the Claas name.

Combine_Wizard

You are right about the dates as far as Holt's first combines and the sale to John Deere go, but that is NOT what put J.D. into combine production or where Deere got their start in combines. Granted, Deere was somewhat a Johnny-come-lately, but their first combine debuted in 1927. Their Model No.2 was production-ready first, and Deere did not switch names just to make it look any different.

farm_boy

the way I understand it is that Deere wanted a side hill combine and that is the main reason that they bought the cat_holt combine. I know where there is a 1929 holt combine that has reminents of deere green parts on it. The original serial number plate is still on it Holt Company, Stockton CA. The old timer that has it said thye used that combine until 1957. He said that they would get JD green parts for it for many years.

farm_boy

Cat was in on the development of the lexion combine from pretty much the word go. the old dominators and 126 have been around for many years and still the ones that are still around are very reliabe machines, built heavier and last longer than most american machines. The only bad part about the older claas machines is that it is a nightmare to get them worked on and to find a dealer that has parts

Combine_Wizard

You are right, farm boy. That acquisition put Deere into the then-expanding market for hillside combines. Anything you want to know about Deere's combine history, just ask.

CATMAN2

The current Cat lexion was introduced to the public in 1997, but was not available for sale until January of 1998. The test models all had the yellow bellies on them, but that was changed to the current grey color prior to production. I am sure that there are some of the yellow bellied lexions out running, but they should all be 1997 or older.

Green_Envy

Saw your post and I was hoping you could provide me with some info on the JD 7A combine.