Combines your opinion

greengoose

I'm sorry but you cannot compare the johndeere sts combines with a massey or a case. The massey and case simply cannot keep up with a deere. We ran a 2388 in 95 bushel wheat and a deere in the same condition and the deere went 1 mph faster. The sts has way more capacity then the case and a little more than the massey. Also the sts can go through tough conditions and start earlier and finish late. Here in ontario we combined with the deeres to midnight in wheat and never once plugged the feeder house. The 2388 on the other hand was done when just the slightest of dew was setting in for the night.

greengoose

I was comparing the 9650sts to the 2388. I'm not sure about the separator. Was able to run 4.5 to 5 mph in the wheat and only 3.5 to 3.8 mph with the case both had 25ft flex heads. I just know from driving them that the sts wouldn't bog down and wasn't throwing grain out the back. The case wasnt throwing grain out the back at those speeds but when you tried to go as fast as the 9650sts there was alot of power loss and grain loss.

alan

Thanks greengoose that is interesting. I noticed that the case is shy on power compared to the deere, but only by 10 hp. It's funny that there would be that big of a difference. I wonder what the difference would be in cornIJ Thanks for writing!

Ed_Boysun

There may be a couple of things about a Gleaner that you should consider. The accellerator rolls do a lot of cleaning and take a lot of the load off the sieves, but don't show up in the Sq. inches of sieve category. One other thing the accellerator rolls do is load the sieves much more evenly than other rotaries. Some of the others have to add fillers to certain parts of their concaves to prevent overloading a certain part of the sieve and leaving another part empty.

dakota

I ran 1680s, 9610s and 9650 STS's for a summer each. This year we're going to run 470 lexions. If you are wondering about different sieve areas and their capacity you also need to consider the stroke length they move and how many strokes they do per minute. That makes a big difference. The NH TR and the CAT lexions don't have shoe augers under their cylinders_rotors. Shoeaugers tend to mix chaff and grain, what you really want to separate. Rotors can be equipted with many different styles of rotor bars in the threshings section and rasp bars or tines in the separating section. This is why people like Gordon, Sunnybrook or St. John Welding selling different setups versus factory. Different rotors are sitting in different angles in the machine. I think the massey is fairly horizontal while all the others climb up towards the back. The veins inside the rotor cage can be adjusted on a CASE. That changes the material flow, threshing and separating abilities. There are people claiming to be able to fine tune a 2388 to run along with an STS. Concaves and separartor grades are made in different styles, too. Go to a big farm show were all the combines are shown side by side and a let a representative take the covers of for you and explain the features. Bring your tape measure, too. You will spend all day and still don't know all the differences in the little details.

Deere4life

In corn thats yielding around 150 bu_ac, power seems to be the limiting factor for a 9650 STS. We usually run 5-6 mph with a 8 row head. Power boost helps alot when your unloading on the go. I think the stair step concave design in the STS is the biggest reason why they have so much capacity. We haven't had anything but John Deere combines for the past 10 years. Before that we had a 1680 running with an old 7720 and the 1680 always was the first to quit. I'm not sure, but I think a 2388 is pretty well the same, but with more hp.

mx270

Trying to compare any brand of combine to the others is nuts. It does not matter to me what BRAND or COlOR i run. As long as it gets the job done with quality. If i was you alan i would visit all of my local dealers and ask them to show what each brand has to offer. So don't let the "Green People" tell you that there green is the best. After all they are still an very new to the rotory business. Where as the massy, gleaner, case, and nh have been in the rotory business for a good 20 years and then there is cat who is very new to the combine business also.I could sit here all day and argue with everybody which is better. The best thing is to do your own research and get the machine that would best fit you and your operation.

alan

dakota, Thanks for the information. There is alot of things there that I never