Combines Questions

Dan

Rolf got it right for what I think would work for you and go ahead ask specific questions on one thing or another. We have hard to knock out wheat and get by fine with all wide rasp and forward bars. I do see the plant offers a narrow rasp over concave and wide rasp over seperator setup. We replace narrow wire concaves with the high wide wire when it is time for replacement. We use enough filler bars to get a good thresh in the hard to knock out stuff. The three massive improvements we made in the large P3's is the feeder shocks, third helical over feeder opening, and extend cylinder bars into discharge. I would believe filler bars fastened from underside of concave would of helped your bad thresh and a rasp bar fastened on seperator side would of helped with any rotor loss. There are some crops where seperator grate will cause crop to roll and trap seeds. That is where seperator grate cover could help you out. Hyper will be posting a picture soon on a modified seperator grate that may help prevent straw from ever rolling. I'm very glad you brought it up that modifications may not be for everyone. These combines come from the plant set up to work well in most all crops. We have found ways to adapt the machines to get them to work fantastic in most crops. The plant is adapting what we find in the field to work and what they find in there tests to work and then adapting into the final product as fast as the system allows. Go ahead and ask any specific questions and we'll try answer as soon a posible.

smled

Gentlemen thank you. My apoligies to you for taking so long to get back to you. I have been digesting your ideas and will try several of them.I have found that In our area flight extensions don't work very wellas all of the material semms to flow to the center and then the chain will not pull it away (see todays post under headers). I have installed shock kits and the new bands on the feed drums and they drastically improved feeding and reduced the occuranceof chain jumping.I have installed a hump kit in one machine and was not particularly impressed. I fell that the weaker shorter straw that we have cannot be pushed over the hump by the feed chains and that this negates the improved agressivness of the cylynder trying to pull the crop in. I will install the extension to the third cylynder from the gearbox. I can clearly seewhere this should improve the smoothnes of the machine and expect that it will help to eliminate cylynder loss.t appears that the factory setup wouln put a double layer of material in one area of the cageand cause difficulty seperating.I also will also install extended cylynder bars. I ran acouple of sets last year and believe they did help. I had one machine last year where the customer removed the the inner cylynder paddle reinforcement and felt that this alone smoothed out the performance. I have not decided what to do about the wires in the concave and the concave covers but expect that I will try several different combinations there also. After the disaster I had several years ago with high-wire concaves and all foward bars I think I better stick with the four revers bars for this year.Again thank you.

Dan

The reason we started installing the four inch flighting all the way to the center is to prevent the straw from standing in front of fingers. The flighting has allowed us to use the older headers to keep these ever hungrier machines happy. In them conditions when the straw stood up in front of fingers it would not cut well there at speed and leave a strip in the field. The flighting would have to be extended further than the 2.5" flighting went or else it will not do the job. The four inch flighting worked very well until we got into some 90bu. wheat or straw for 90 plus bushel. When we got into the mass quantity straw we welded 4" pieces of key stock onto the pressure side of flighting just in front of feed chain. That may work for you if you believe that you are shoving the straw all the way to the center of feed chain. If you did not extend your flighting to over lap a center line of fingers you will see the straw at that point and it will appear you have a bad problem. Be sure bottom area inbetween header and feed housing is filled in flat so straw can flow smoothly. We have installed many rock door humps and havn't found any problem with them. The hump doesn't get in the way of straw flow it just fills in the gap inbetween feed chain and cylinder. There is a valley in that area and the hump helps the feed chain to keep control of crop a bit longer untill cylinder can suck it in. If you ever forsee taking in a rock I would highly recommend the hump kit. There used to be and maybe still is a rock door bar available for rocky conditions and that 1"X1" bar will definitely obstruct the flow into cylinder. The rock door hump kind of duplicates what we had in the old P1's and they seemed to have less rear feed problems. I would caution you or the guy who removed the inner gusset from discharge paddle if he didn't extend them bars for he stands a huge chance of paddle coming off of cylinder along with it will come the end of backup bar. When something like that comes apart you could have a problem of major proportion. like anything you may add to cylinder area you need to have it anchored extremly well. Just a few more thoughts for you to ponder on. Good luck.

John

Central Il is a great candidate for a rotary. I ran an 76 F until I went to 6r30, that moved me to the M2. The hybrids got better and the sidehills with higher yields created a problem for the M2 6r30 w_sidehill blower when 180+bpa corn was met. The loses going out the back and just crawling with the 6r30 made the thought process begin for an l2_3(bigger shoe). At the time l's were too busy working yet. My dealer shot a deal on my N6, I was reluctant. He had me demo it for a day on my 18+ degrees sidehills. PRODUCT SOlD!!!! A nice series 3 that the previous owner had done most of the hyperizing to, I finished the job. The dealer was happy too, my M2 never hit his lot, he sold it to someone with all flat ground. For your size I would also look at an 83-85 N5 or R5. The exchange price for the F to N_R wouldn't hurt the cash flow as much. The Deutz engine is good for power and longevity, but has to be kept dry and blown out daily. Neighbor burned up his R60 because of plugged fins and soybean fuzz. He likes the R62 Cummins much better. See if your dealer will let you demo the model your after for one day. If it is a good clean well maintained machine, it sells itself. And going from the F to the N_R normally means more wagons or trucks to keep up.

Oedie86

We are no-till, so we need the lightest thing possible. The 40 is something like 15 or 16 thousand lbs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the N5_R5's are the size of the R62. Our 4 row Deere planter, right now, is set up with 34" on the inside rows and 35" on the outside rows. With the rows being narrower, the wider tires of the 50_2 do not work. Since the N_R5 is biggerIJ, then it wont work. We are also looking for the P3.

John

Yes and No, both the N_R 5 will run a 4-36 head that the N6_7 won't, 6-30 is the narrowest for them. The R40 is narrower and can handle a 4-30 head. The N_R 5 is slightly wider and longer. And the P3 can be found or put in the N_R 5. The weight for the N_R 5 is about 1500n more than the R_40. The cage on the R40 is 10% smaller than a factory N_R 5 but most of the N_R 5 I have seen have been opened up to the N_R6 size, something that can't be done to the 40. N rotor is 25*90 and the R 40 is 25*67.9, now way to regain that 22.1" of rotor. I have complete specs. of the AC N_R, DA R40-70 and the Agco R42-72. The 50_2 will also carry a 4-30 head due to the shortened rotor. The 50 is about 1000n heavier than the 40, the 42_52 is 3000n heavier than the 40.

Dr_Allis

It brings a tear to my eye to admit to you that even the most souped up R72 will never keep up to a 480 or 590 lexion combine. This is especially true in soybeans where there is lots of tough material to handle. The lexion will start earlier in the day and run later at night because of a nearly 6 ft wide feederhouse and the APS cylinder to take it away from the throat and jam it into the threshing cylinder. You'll have stopped and reversed your feederhouse many times while the lexion keeps on eating those green stem beans!!!! My personal opinion is that the Gleaner line is as big as it's ever going to get because of shipping widths. You and I know if you could add 12" to the feederhouse and 12" to 24" to the cage length it would truly be a class 8 or so machine--BUT AGCO seems to be focusing on the Massey_White chassis for a larger class 8 or 9, not the Gleaner.