Alberta growers want a provincial wheat commission

notafarmer

by alexis-kienlen

A group of Alberta farmers is pushing for the establishment of a provincial wheat commission, saying it could help unite wheat producers and drive more money into cereal research.“We see this as an opportunity to enhance grower...

A group of Alberta farmers is pushing for the establishment of a provincial wheat commission, saying it could help unite wheat producers and drive more money into cereal research.

“We see this as an opportunity to enhance grower profitability through research and market development,” said Greg Porozni, a grain producer from Willingdon who is a member of the steering committee composed of representatives from cereal groups.

Read more at http://agcanada.com/daily/alberta-growers-want-a-provincial-wheat-commission/

kenterickson

Alberta Wheat Commission Steering Team

I am a member of the steering team and we are in the latter stages of producer meetings to get the message out about what we are trying to do. We are needing farmers to go to our website www.albertawheat.com and fill out a survey to give us some ideas on what they want to see this commission do in the future. We are seeing a need for producers to put research dollars in the grassroots organizations to try and get wheat back up to a competitive crop in the future.

Auctionguyyy

I like the idea of a council to put forward the wheat industry as a whole, I hope the Western Canadian wheat growers will step forward and do it. Provincial bureaucracies just overlap and waste more of the farmers money.

But isn't the Western Grains Research Foundation already getting a checkoff to do research ?