Tractors Ask the Expert: IndyCar Series

chattymatty

Jan. 20: On Scheckter, Sebring and Kansas
Question: I usually wouldn?t dispute with you, but I think with tweets such as ?going to Chicago for meetings? and ?Going back to where it all started? suggests that Paul Tracy is headed to Dale Coyne?s team. (Todd, Calgary)

Answer: It doesn?t mean that PT?s meeting included Coyne, but it?s a nice trail to follow. They?ve both been coy about their plans. As I?ve said, I think PT wants a Honda, and he?d surely like to be Wilson?s teammate. But I?ve also heard he has a handshake deal with Michael Shank, who has said all along that he?s targeting a veteran driver. So, we?ll see.

Question: What is the feeling in Indianapolis as Super Bowl Sunday approaches? Do you think the excitement can rival race day for the Indy 500? It could not for me, because I?m a huge 500 fan, but I wanted to get your take on Indy atmosphere city wide. (Brad, Holly Springs, N.C.)

Answer: No, I don?t think there?s that kind of interest, although it will certainly ramp up as the event approaches. Much of the air came out of the balloon when Manning got hurt. Then came the 2-14 season and all the administrative changes. If not for the parties and the downtown festivities, I?m not sure most Hoosiers would care the Super Bowl will be played here in a couple of weeks. But again, we?re still a couple weeks out. Interest will build quickly.

Question: Jon Beekhuis said that IndyCar would require additional weight to offset the lighter Lotus engine. Is that correct? Seems to me that if Lotus can generate the horsepower in a lighter package, they should be rewarded, not punished. I understand that the teams can move that extra weight around to their advantage, but I bet they would prefer not to carry it at all, especially on the road/street circuits. (Doug, Carmel, Ind.)

Answer: Yes, Lotus will be required to even the weight up, and I think that does a disservice to the work they?ve done. I?m hearing a 25-pound difference. I had a nice long chat yesterday with one of the wisest men in racing, and he fears the balancing of these cars and engines will lead to a return of pack racing. No one wants that, he said.

Question: You mentioned that there were openings at Rahal, KV, DR, Conquest, and possibly Schmidt. Do you have any idea who might fill those spots? It seems like Pippa, Bia, Matos, Meira and Scheckter need rides. Please tell me Tomas will have something full time next year! (Brian, Miami, Fla.)

Answer: I hope he gets one, but I?m not sure what?s available to him. There are others, too, in the mix for those few openings: Tracy, Howard, Baguette, Guerrieri, Jakes, Lloyd, Saavedra, Pantano and probably someone I?m forgetting. Someone is going to get left out.

Question: Any thought on whether or not we might see Toyota come up with an IndyCar engine in the next two to three years? I?m just wondering if they?re sitting back waiting to see how the new formula pans out and how the two new engine suppliers perform. (Scott, Bargersville, Ind.)

Answer: I?d say Ford before Toyota.

Question: I was just watching the end of last year?s 500. When Hildebrand put it in the wall, the announcer says he did it, ?just like Tomas Scheckter.? Is my memory failing me or was this just his exuberance? (Doug, Indianapolis)

Answer: I didn?t hear that, but Scheckter?s crash came late in the 2002 race. He, too, was the leader, but it wasn?t the last lap. Imagine how things would be different if Scheckter and Hildebrand had won those races instead of Castroneves and Wheldon..

Question: Regarding Sebring you said ?it?s about 90 minutes from a major city and there are virtually no hotels in the area. Those factors don?t make for large spectator events.? The 12 hours of Sebring dwarfs the attendance of most IndyCar races except Indy and perhaps Long Beach. This just proves that if you build it (and promote it),they will come. (Justin, Indianapolis)

Read more at http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2012/01/20/jan-20-on-scheckter-sebring-and-kansas/