Tractors Advise/Tips needed on baling wheat straw behind combine

oleoacres

Hello all, we are going to bale up some wheat straw behind a Gleaner R62 this year. Haven't ever done it before and are looking for some help from those in the know.

As of right now, looking to cut wheat as low as possible and come in behind with a round baler (to be purchased, suggestions?). Does this sound like a do-able plan in dry land wheat in western ks?

I have been doing some reading and checking out combine mods and low pickups for balers, but any advise would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Auctionguyyy

My experience would say you are going to have trouble. We had R7 R72's and pretty much gave up letting anyone try to bale since no one could do a good job.

too finely ground up, too compact of row after being driven down into the ground. I can only imagine how dry your straw would be at harvest, but maybe being straight cut would help the straw hold together.

We switched to 9610's (for many reasons) and guys are lining up to get our straw.

oleoacres

That is what I was wondering.... We were looking at taking out some of the cylinder bars and dropping the chopper. Either removing the spreader or disengaging it and making a chute to center the windrow.

Have also been looking at switching to conventional combine, debating if this is something we will continue doing.