Top 5 internal drives: The state of solid-state drives

aginfo

No matter how big or small your computer is, there are at least one internal drive on the inside to host its operating system and programs. This drive, be it a regular hard drive or a solid-state drive (SSD),generally comes in one of the two standards, 2.5-inch (for laptops) or 3.5-inch ford desktops.

Most, if not all standard SSDs, however, come in the 2.5-inch design. This is because a 2.5-inch drive can fit in both laptop and desktop computers, while the 3.5-inch drives can only fit in desktops. Also, due to the fact that SSDs have no moving part, its capacities generally don't depend on the physical size of the drive.

Now if you have a computer with a hard drive, you definitely want to replace it with an SSD. This is the single upgrade that will bring a totally new life (performance, that is) to your computer. You can find out more on why that is here. And after that, you can also follow my how-to post if you need help with the actual replacement.

The only question is, which SSD should you get. The truth is while not all SSDs are created equal, they are all so much faster than regular hard drives in terms of overall performance that the differences among them are only noticeable to those who have always used SSDs, of which even I can't claim to be one.

That said, if you have a tight budget, just pick one that offers the most capacity for the least money. But if you want to also get the best bang for your buck, I have here the list of top five SSDs on the market, all things (pricing included) considered.

This list will be updated on a regular basis as more drives are reviewed. Make sure you check at the bottom of this post for the list of drives that were previously on the top five list, too, since they are also excelent choices.

More at http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...-of-solid-state-drives/?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0