Combines spreader

tbran

I had a customer ask about adding a dual spreader today if he went to wider header and inquired about availability and installation as we have very few D.S.'s E of Miss. river. While was at it ask about hd dual and was told not this year but maybe next... a chopper generally unloads the spreader a lot but it is also extra $ and upkeep. I know it may not help you but we have very good spread patterns up to 25' by X'ing the paddles and running high speed. Its all I know about spreaders...

Old_Pokey

I must have mistaken your earlier post. I thought you had a chopper. Oh well, since you have spreaders, maybe I can help a little. First, look on the sides of the machine. You'll see a series of three bolts that hold the beater pan in place. To help spread the straw better, loosen the bolts and tip the pan upwards. This will direct the straw onto the spreaders with more of a downward force. That way the spreaders can grab it and spread it. If the pan is lowered, the straw will be more directed to the spreaders at an angle and can kind of slide over the top of the spreaders. Next, make sure you have all the rubber spreader "teethIJ" on the top of the spreader plate and that they all bend upward. There will be three pitch setting for these teeth. Try putting them in the aggresive position. The outside bolt will only have one hole and the inside will have three. The aggresive position on the right side, or passenger side, will be the hole clockwise or to the left of center. On the left one it will be the opposite. Give that a try and see what happens before you speed it up. Sometimes the shaft speed monitor on the older machines does'nt like over speeding any more than under speed.

Farm_Kid2

The angle of the spreader bats can be adjusted to make them more aggressive. That is covered in the operator's manual, but I assume you have already done that. Next, you can take off the rear rubber curtain and try that (the curtain was supposed to be cut into sections during the dealer prep). Next, you can buy new spreader bats and mount them on top of the current bats with longer bolts. Finally, go with the smaller pulley (1994772C1 and spacer 27828R1) or the 2 speed update kit (B96182). We run the high speed and the only thing I don't like about it is the extra wear on the bevel gears. It all kind of depends on what size head you are using and what crops you are in.

Pist

My confussion Old Pokey. Yes I do have an internal chopper. But no external chopper, it has a spreader.

John_W

I copied and saved the spreader improvement recommendations of a CIH tech who used to post here which I thought were worth saving. Here they are: "CIH Straw spreader performance improvements from SDman. Just thought I would share some tips to help maximize performance with factory chaff spreader attachments. We have several 36' MacDon heads out here and have a lot of no-till so even spreading of residue is a must. With just a few mods., and not a lot of money, you can make a stock Axial-Flow the best at spreading residue evenly. Here are 5 major points for proper setup. 1) Be sure you have the straw deflector in the discharge hood for even distribution to the spreaders. This deflector was added at 1997 production and can be installed in older machines and is adjustable. 2) Trim back about the last foot or so of the curtain on each side of the spreaders about were the curtain makes the first 30 degree turn. You might want to cut the curtain off and keep it in your shed so you can install them for row-crop harvest so cobs are not thrown towards the rear of the combine. 3) Install the fast speed spreader pulley (partn1994772C1, also requires spacer n27828R1),this increases spreader speed from 227 to 346 RPMs. 4) Set the spreader bats to aggressive position(this is shown in operator's manual but I see very few of them set this way) you might want to mark the spreaders Right or left so you do not get them mixed up when you remove them. 5) Case also came out with taller spreader bats that are taller than the factory ones. They recommend 3 of these bats on each spinner so that they alternate on the disc and that they alternate from each disc(short bat on lH spinner lines up with tall one on RH spinner, and vice-verse). The part ns for these are 321372A1 for lH on 88 series, 321373A1 for RH on 88 series; 323745A1 for lH on 44_66 series, and 323746A1 for RH on 44_66 series. These help spread tougher material such as green stem soybeans and help eliminate the "strip down the middle" that customers have complained about. With these simple mods, you will find these machines can spread evenly in most conditions." I might note that I believe that you have to length the hex shaft the the spinners are attached to a couple of inches use the new "cupped" spreader blades. You can by the hex shaft from a welding shop and make your own for a lot less than CIH parts wants for them.

Farm_Kid2

Just so no one get mixed up, SDman's comments are for the factory chaff spreader, also called the "Super Spreader". It's a nice unit, but it's not real cheap to upgrade a 1680 to this style.

Varment

With only having a beater and not a chopper , it will be harder to get the straw to spread . You may want to try a shark tooth grate to cut the straw . Joe

TomP

Here is a mod a neighbor did to his 1680 with no chopper. I did it to my 1460 with a chopper. It will spread straw to cover a 20' head swath. On top of every other spreader bat bolt a 2" angle iron. We made them just the length of the flat disc. A light weight angle iron works well. Cut the corner off next to the cone so the straw won't catch.

wolffman

I just reworked my 1688 spreader like the 2388's. I bought the spinners and bats from Spreaderman (he's had previous posts} for around $300. Two push-button quik attach couplers from Case for $85 each. Two longer shafts from machine shop for $37. I modified the pan that's behind the chaffer so it dumps on the spinners and used conveyor belting to pretty much copy a 2388. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. It will easily spread out for a 25 ft head without speeding it up. Have a safe harvest! CW