Combines 2388 Rotor Belt

SDkid

You are correct. The rotor belt for the 2388 is different from the 2188. The belt for the 2388 is one inch longer so be sure to check the part number.

JWK

Do you see extra grease aroung the belt drivesIJ I only give about 2 shots daily to the drive pulleys. JWK

Deadduck

If I'm not mistaken, the book calls for 1 shot daily. I definitely wouldn't grease as much as you are. You could be pushing grease past the seals and it is getting up on the belt. But you should be able to see that if it's happening. I was thinking torque spring until you said you just changed it out. I know they changed the angle on the torque hub on the later 2388's because they decided the original angle was too steep. I have seen the pins that fit between the pulley halves get grooves in them, and while they may move fine when not in a bind, once they get a load on them they may not be able to move. Also, are you sure you've adjusted the driven pulley so that the distance between the two pulleys is correctIJ If they're too close, the belt won't have the proper tension on it and will slip. That's about all I can think of. Good luck!

Deadduck

If I'm not mistaken, the book calls for 1 shot daily. I definitely wouldn't grease as much as you are. You could be pushing grease past the seals and it is getting up on the belt. But you should be able to see that if it's happening. I was thinking torque spring until you said you just changed it out. I know they changed the angle on the torque hub on the later 2388's because they decided the original angle was too steep. I have seen the pins that fit between the pulley halves get grooves in them, and while they may move fine when not in a bind, once they get a load on them they may not be able to move. Also, are you sure you've adjusted the driven pulley so that the distance between the two pulleys is correctIJ If they're too close, the belt won't have the proper tension on it and will slip. That's about all I can think of. Good luck!

Farm_Kid2

On earlier machines the torque spring sets on a fiber washer so that it can rotate. On newer ones, the washer was replaced by a needle bearing. The needle bearing looks like a much better setup, and I would go to that construction, but I doubt that is your problem. When you had the torque sensor apart, do you recall how easily the outer half of the sheave slidesIJ I think it should be nearly friction free.

P_C

Yes, the outer sheave slid very easy. I also replaced one of the cam rollers because it had a flat spot on it.

Farm_Kid2

The cams can also wear a flat on them. I've heard of folks dressing them up with a grinder, but we've always just replaced it. I would think that if you try dressing it up, make sure both rollers touch at the same time in that area. If the cam, rollers and spring are all in good shape, I'm not sure what else to try. We had a heck of a time with a worn torque limiter on our 1680 a couple years ago. It broke belts like crazy in tough wheat, no matter how careful we were. Finally just replaced the whole thing with a new 2388 unit and it never ran better.

OHscooter

If you don't mind spending $2000, install the heavy duty drive kit with larger pulleys and 900 lb spring. This will solve any belt slipping problems or premature belt breaking.

OHscooter

CASE says it is only for the 3 speed rotor boxes on 2388's. I don't know what makes it not fit 2 speed boxes