Combines AFX Standard rotor

Bubs

I have the Steward Steel on my 2388 that had a Rochele specialty rotor already. It works just like the CNH AFX. I would not go back to anything else but AFX. I wouldn't think it would be advisable to put that much investment in a standard rotot configuration. With the Steward Steel you will also need to update your transition cone with new heavy 52 hole vanes. They are much heavier and there are a couple more of them. Good luck.

swede

I think that one would fight the other.The AFX style front shines best in tough conditions.The same conditions that a standard rotor struggles with.You would be drawing in tough,ropey crops just fine ,but then the back half couldn't handle them.Shop around for a used spec. rotor,and see about upgrading that.Or check into a conversion rotor from St John Welding.JMHO.

west_illini

How much would a used specialty rotor, in rebuildable condition be worthIJ I would like to find one sometime and add stewart impellers and Gordon bars

John_W

Check with Terry at St John Welding. Might make things a lot simplier for you.

west_illini

I have a set of Terry's bars in now and am happy with them. How about Stewart kit on one of Terry's rotorsIJ TerryIJ

tj

Haven't installed a Stewart kit, but have, however, installed our mod on rotors with OEM AFX front end. Actually, using our rasp bar setup, we're not sure that we see much difference between the auger flites and the old impeller setup. I think the auger flite may infeed a little better in weedy wheat and green stem soybeans, but it appears that the impeller setup may break a few less corn cobs with feeding ability fairly equal in that crop. It does appear that the impellers spread material out a little more in the front feed cone and don't force clumps onto the front concave as the augers appear to have a little tendency to do. Power consumption also appears to be about the same, at least in a normal threshing situation. This is part feedback and part opinion, so don't take it as gospel.

west_illini

So we shouldn't throw the elephant ears to the junk pile. All I've ever heard is that the auger front is the best thing since sliced bread

Unload

Thanks for your opinion. I have not been real happy with the specialty rotor. I have 20 Gordon bars in the front, and i do like how the front end works. But the rear is not very inpressive on separating.

tj

Auger flites may be a fair improvement on an OEM specialty rotor where incoming material needs to be crowded up a little due to rotor bar stagger, spacing and mount size. On an OEM standard rotor where the rotor bars are in lines, it appears that auger flites would cause congestion, especially at the front of the rotor. When we remove the rub bar mounts and install rasp type bars, we change the feeding characteristics of the rotor itself and even though there's probably some clumping at the front, the much more aggressive rasp bars will spread the material quickly, and since the mounts are installed in cascading spirals the loading remains much more even throughout. This is likely why we don't see that much difference between impellers and auger flites on our rotors.

tj

With Gorden bars, the angled area between rotor bar mounts will act somewhat like auger flite and tend to push material toward the rear of the rotor. This can cause congestion over the spearator grates, along with requirement for tighter concave settings for thresh and faster rotor speeds for throughput due to those concave settings. I might suggest leaving 4 Gorden bars on the very front of the rotor, but removing 1_2 of the remaining Gorden bars in a staggered pattern. This would likely give more agitation to the crop for separation. Hope this makes sense.