Combines lodged Wheat

parttimer

We also has some lodged wheat when cutting with our 8820 and 30' header. We slowed the ground speed and put the header on the ground. This may not work if it is rocky. The 30' did a good job and the machine will handle the extra straw. The 200 and 900 sseris header have a plate on the bottom so you will not push the floor pan into the auger. The older headers did not have this and if you hit the ground it would push it up into the fingers and the fun would start. Just my one years experience. Good luck!

Grain_Reaper

Tried my new JD finger reel out today. On wheat fields that were laying flat on the ground from high winds, rain and hail the finger reel works perfect. I had expected to loose half of our 50 bushel yield but with the finger reel we are able to get just about every head out there.

CORNKING

Ed the first thing I would do is spray the wheat with roundup wait a week set the 1020 on flex in automatic and take it all through the combine it may be slow going but with the price of wheat you can aford to take your time. You may even have to take some of it one way. And as for your question on wear bars on elephant ears I would replace them when they are worn down cheaper then doing the whole ear and possably haveing one fly off, because the head wore out.

spiff

I do not know much about lodged wheat except try cutting it at diff angles with the flex unlocked. As for the ears I would replace them with a set of Marlins from lowen combine products ,they made a world of diff in my 2 1688 no more rumble when thing get a little tougher at night. Just my 2 cents

Greedy_Guts

Have you got grainlifters fitted to your fingersIJ When we cut lodged wheat we fit them and try to cut accross the direction of the layed wheat, use the reel to gently pull it off the lifters onto the bed. We let the header ride gently along the ground using the hydraulic damper to let it float lightly.

Nick

If you have a finger reel that is all you need. You dont have to unlock your flex head, use the reel to pick up the wheat. Ive combined wheat that is flat on the ground that way.