Combines Cracking corn

tractor

what's the moistureIJ ran the cylinder at 360 rpms this year moisture was between 13-18% had the concave set 1" in the front and 1_2" on the back, can run the cylinder slower even in dry corn have been down to 300rpm before

tbran

Make sure concave is level, remove the channel in the door and then if neccessary remove the back channel. You may have to lower the cyl. now to get all the corn off cob. We have found on the wide spaced hardened bars we can have less crackage w_o hurting capacity by grinding smooth the leading edge of the cyl bars. They have a tendency to develope a sharp tit that will spear corn. Remember that speed is what mostly cracks not clearance unless it is WAY off.

M__Gorden

Randy, I would not recommend that high of fan setting with an air foil chaffer. You will likely get too much shelled corn in the return system. If you run corn through the return system once, more than likely the same kernals are returning a second or third time. This will result in excessive cracking. I suggest that you turn your fan speed down or change chaffers. Try setting your lower sieve to 11_16 inch which will direct the air toward the openings in the air foil chaffer. You might also drop your rotor speed 10 or 20 r.p.m.

gben

If you are picking Texas dryland corn it is probably not quite dry enough or you may be going too slow. Texas corn does not seem to dry uniformly, with green stalks and 20 moisture(even17) sometimes you have this problem. If this is your trouble give it a few days and it will work fine.

sri

Do you have shelled corn coming out of front of feeder house alsoIJ

rog

no, my bin sample gets some craked,enough for dokeage at the elevator, only way i can get all the corn off the cob is to speed up cyl or close concaves,