Combines rotor loss

Tam

likely your rotor loss sensor pad has been damaged and is not working as well it should. We run an R60 with P3 on stony ground and have to replace this sensor annually to keep it working. We find a tiny hole in it usualy. Hope this helps, they are not a cheap luxury.

Hyper_Harvest_II

Ken, Don't rely on your pacer to give you an accurate measure of rotor loss.The sensor is mounted in a position that will give you a false reading all the time.Set your pacer to shoe,take counts behind the machine for loss,subtract headloss,then adjust your machine to try and achieve 1% or less of yield.(100bu_A.= 1bu. total loss across the machine.) Once you are satisfied with your settings,then set pacer settings so that it stays in the green or yellow.(Around here I tell my customers Range 1,Setpoint 5-8)As for the rotor loss,what are your settingsIJCylinder speedIJConcave clearanceIJWhat is your loss count across the width of the machineIJMaybe we can give you some more insight after these questions are answered. Hyper Harvest II

Kenc

Heres my settings. Concave-10. Rotor speed-350, I had been running the rotor at 400 which seemed to reduce the rotor loss, but I had too many fines so I reduced it to 350. I have the pacer set at range 1 , setpoint 12 and it shows very little if any rotor loss. I am currently running in the shoe position, as I feel the sensor is probably not working on rotor setting. I am losing .3bu at the head, .2 down to 0 from the shoe, and around 1 from the cylinder-I dropped the spreader and used the chart in the book. All total I am at .9% so maybe my losses are tolerable. I definitely had less rotor loss with my R60 with two reverse bars in, and no extended cylinder bars in. It also had a p-3.

Hyper_Harvest_II

Ken, Have you tried lower rotor speeds than 350.Consider trying 250-300rpm to see how that works.Also,I would definitely consider the hi-lo cylinder bar configuration on the seperator end.This should give more tumbling action of material and also give a gentle slowing of material to allow more seperation.Make sure your concave is level from side to side also.let me know if I can be of more help.Hyper Harvest II

M__Gorden

There are a number of things you can do to stop rotor loss. You are welcome to phone me at 1-800-745-1680 for some proven steps that will help you. Marvin Gorden

JFarms

I don't care what anyone says, a specialty rotor don't work in wheat if you have a 44 or a 66. The small diameter rotor is way more aggressive than a 88's larger diameter rotor. Back in the early 90's we bought a pair of 1660's that had specialties and ran them next to 4 1660's with standard rotors. That year in northeast Colorado the Tam 107 winter wheat got down to 7-9% moisture, to say the least the specialty rotor disintegrated that straw so bad there wasn't any straw coming out the back longer than 1 inch. If we tried to clean up on the ground the hopper would be horrible, if we tried to clean up the hopper the loss out the rear was horrible. We ended up parking the specialties and finishing with the standards otherwise the farmer was going to kick us off his place. That next winter our first project was to switch them rotors for standards. Even in tough soybeans and high yield corn we found no advantage to the specialty rotor. We now got six 2388's with specialty rotors and they perform very similar to a 66's standard rotor. My suggestion, get rid of the rotor.

tj

Are you operating with narrow space concavesIJ Are they worn and roundedIJ Do you have interrupters installed in the front section of concaveIJ Where are your vane transits setIJ email if you prefer. (800) 549-3289 Terry

beac

We have had same problem on a 1660 with spec rotor, especially with very ripe wheat.

tbran

I have experienced the same problem as I just started corn. Weather, corn bore, etc. has created a challenge. We are running a BUNCH of shucks, stalks, and whole plants - including roots, yes roots - from wierd year-. Never seen anything like it. I would suggest the rasp bar idea first. I even added another row at the 8:00 oclock position -viewed from the discharge end. This really helped but I still was not satisfied. Finally broke down and installed two reverse bars at the lH end. My loss as of last night was .1bu_a rotor, 0 shoe, and .2 at the header. That is the best I feel is possible under these unusual conditions. Oh for a normal year... Running half the rasp bars vs. all will not effect your loss as you have witnessed. The diff will be gentler threshing- esp in white corn _ some pop corn. We rarely reccomend this as in wheat that is hard to thresh it doesn't work well. But if one only has corn and soybeans it is a neat trick. Plus you have a free set of spare bars.