Combines air foil chaffer

PETE

I have heard they don't work as well as the square tooth chaffer. last fall I talked to a guy who is really sharp with Gleaners and he said there are alot of them hanging in machine sheds never to be used again.

T__langan

We bought one several years ago when we had an M3 and had it cut to fit our R50_52. We use it exclusively for oats and barley - works good in these crops - don't get as many short pieces of straw in the grain sample as with grain chaffer. Works spendidly in soybeans. Don't work at all for us in corn though. The holes plug with small bits of cob. Also, they don't seem to work as well on a sidehill as a regular chaffer no matter what crop. Good luck

tj

Several years ago, we upgraded airfoil chaffers with taller openings and installed sidehill dividers. They still work very well in small grains and bean crops, and have much more capacity in corn crops (operators who use them estimate about 30% increase). We turned the manufacture of these items to Will Mfg. of Denison, Ks. For info email gwill@holtonks.net or call at (785) 935-2304

JWK

Redman, Here is my story on the AirJet. Here is my good experience with the AirJet Chaffer. I installed it in a 1660 on Nov. 2nd 2002 due to a late Fall harvest here in Minnesota. This year the corn cobs are softer for some unknown reason and the cobs were breaking up and it was difficult to get a clean sample. The dealer's partsman told me that a lot of farmers were having this problem. If you closed the sieves too much, you would put corn on the ground, so many were slowing down to 3 MPH to keep the corn in the machine. Upon installation we went to the same field that I was harvesting the day before with a regular sieve. I have the "High Capacity Corn Elements" , since we are talking about yields of 170-200 Bushels_acre. I am totally sold on this type of cleaning system. It gave me back my 4+ MPH ground speed again with a much cleaner sample. A week later ( Nov 8 and 9th) I harvested soybeans with it. This sample was in one word "PERFECT" you could put those beans straight in your Air planter. I have to thank Mr. Gorden for his help with learning this system. I have learned that I can increase the fan speed to 1270 RPM, from the cab you now hear the fan. Would I do it again.....sure would. Good system. JWK

Redman

In my previous post I was asking about the air foil chaffer and not the air jet. Sorry about the confusion. Just curious to see if any one has used the air foil types in corn and soybeans and was just looking for some feedback.

Farm_Kid2

I can't comment on corn, but the adjustable air foil works well on beans. You can adjust the lower sieve so that only the beans fall through. When you pull into a field with larger beans, you know it immediately because the return will plug. Open up the sieve a notch and the return goes to nothing. That's how accurate they are. We ran a fixed air foil for a long time. Seemed to work fine, but I'm not sure it was an improvement over anything else. The adjustable chaffer probably does better than the finger style. I think the trick to any of these is even, adequate air flow, more than chaffer or seive design.

JWK

Redman, Sorry about me miss reading your post line. Glad Farm Kid2 gave you a nice answer.JWK

KS7Runner

I have used an air foil but the standard chaffer does work better in lower yielding corn(100-140). I set the chaffer to clean and have the sieve open a little wider and get along fine. The air foil lets too many small pieces of cob in. The air foil does work well in soybeans.

slims

Kip get a long fingered chaffer and it will help a lot, esp. in higher yielding corn.