Combines Rock trap

Farmer_Ed

Personally I would say yes definitely get a rock trap! It will be cheaper in the long run! It's not always the biggest stones that cause the most damage! You'd be suprised how much a stone trap will catch if properly set. Not even the stone trap is 100% protective though. Still, I've always believed the saying, "a stitch in time saves 9." While I'm at it, get a chopper too if you have fairly good yields. Other then that, good luck! That's my opinion_s. ;-)

ratman

I would also recommend a rock trap, along with the stone retarder drum (make sure you set the top drum stops to the lower position, using the square block with the offset drilled hole). If you have trouble feeding small grain past the rock trap, you can get serrated bars for the rock trap, which will pull straw through the trap more aggressively. Something else to consider would be installing aux skid shoes on your 1020 flex head - they put the knife up about 1-1_2" above where it would be normally, which will keep your knife sections out of the small stones.

Jamer

I agree with the others on a rock trap, but I respectfully diagree with ratman on the point about the upper drum stops. In my opinion, the stone retarder drum should be set with the upper drum stops in the highest position to let a rock go past and let the rocktrap do its' job and catch the rock. If you are trying to catch the rock at the drum, then why have the rocktrapIJ A machine with a rocktrap has extra springs on the feeder slip clutch and a higher slip rating and therefore may not stop a stone at the drum anyway. A non-rocktrap machine is designed to catch a stone and pin it between the drum and floor thereby slipping the clutch. A rocktrap machine with stone retarder drum is not designed to stop the stone at the drum, but to let it go on through to the trap. Some may disagree with me on this point, which is fine, as this is just my opinion and worth just exactly what you paid for it. :)

SDman

Jamer, you've got this guy in your corner. That is the way a stone drum_rock trap combination is supposed to work.

Jamer

SD, theres no doubt in my mind that a rock trap hinders feeding somewhat. It's a trade-off. I personally don't have much experience with a non-stone retarder drum as there just aren't many machines equipped in my area with them. The guys that run SR drums with Rtraps around here that want more aggressive feeding run serrated slats every other slat and some of them run the rt beater slats all the way up or mid way. They all seem to run the fast drive sprocket for the rt too. (keeps us busy replacing rt bearings-job security you know) Everybody runs a field tracker too cuz they work so good you know. It seems if the slip clutch is runn too loose it starts talkin' to you in the heavy corn though and will slip in the beans after dusk. Just my .02. See ya.

Zig

Thank you all for your opinions on the rock trap issue. This helps me make the decision in what to buy.

combine_ken

Our local case rep. says to run it in the fast speed to beat the rocks out and feed tough stuff better. I run mine in slow speed as to not break up the straw to much. He says all machines sold in southern Alberta are on slow speed.

DK_in_MN

Case, use the larger sprocket for more capacity and less rock protection. Use the smaller sprocket for more rock protection and less capacity.

Brian

Where would be a good place to find a USED rock trap for a 2188 IJ Thanks,Brian