Combines chain oilers

Jamer

The chain oilers I've had experience with do a very good job of keeping the chains oiled. Unfortunately, the oil attracts dirt and trash and this wears out the sprockets prematurely. One operator I know installed an oiler kit on a new 2388 last year and wore out the jackshaft drive sprocket for the tailings drive in approx. 325 hrs.

Forever_Red

West illini--By all means go ahead and have a chain oiler installed, you'll never regret it. Your concerns about chain life and being out of the machine with it running are pretty much taken care of as long as you keep the resevoir filled with oil. That nagging problem of " i've got to stop and oil the chains" is gone. But there is something to be said for being out and looking your machine over at least once a day only now you can just be looking instead of leaning in on an oily surface in the dust. If you are in a short crop you will have to swing the unloading auger a few times just to apply some oil. You can also run oil lines to the drive chains on the corn head. We are in our 7th season with one, it works. Some will say "let em run dry", but 38 yrs has told me "keep em oiled".