Combines chaff spreader

tbran

do you have cut paddels - extended bar kitIJDischarge paddles as origional old design chew up straw like crazy just before ejection thus loading up the lh side.... 1st thing comes to mind

foxtail

Have modified discharge bars, all forward cyl bars, and part of wires removed from sep grate. Material seems to hit rubber curtain around straw spreader and be deflected down.

tbran

I know this is elementary but you are running the board in the bottom slot, all the way down and have the fins spread as wide as possibleIJ

foxtail

Yes,it's in the lowest position. Material from left outside vane hits rubber guard around straw spreader and falls to ground unspread.

Ilnewholland

I have a single spreader on my TR-98 tapped into the reel drive hyds. It works good and can spread almost 25'. If you have a double spreader and it plugs you will do damage to the combine as a single one will drop the chaff to the sides. If you no-till it is the only way to go (putting on chaff spreader). It does make a little trouble to see combine loss as every thing is spread all over the place, but I have shut spreader off for small distance to check sive loss. Also don't run spreader to fast as you can blow stuff back into the combine and make you grain sample trashy and overload sives.

John_W

Check out the REM chaff spreader. A simple design that does not involve hydraulics and spinning discs.

jag

I have a Dutch_Kirby single spreader on my TR98, with separate hydraulics. had tried "the spreader" on my TR 95; when I moved it to the '98 and plumbed it into the reel drive, I didn't have adequate oil flow so went to the add-on hydraulics, before I found that I had a faulty hydr. flow adjustment valve, so I'm not sure what to think about the reel drive. one benefit to the add-on is that if you want to shut off the header while you unload, the chaff spreader keeps running. however, corn cobs can be thrown forward and knock the drive belts off the add-on pump. I would encourage you to look at adding on a sensor so you know if the chaff spreader stops spinning while you're cutting. both my Dutch_Kirby and 'the spreader' jammed up several times, usually in higher-yielding, green stalked milo, but also in weedy wheat and in corn, if a cob jams the spreader in its housing. it takes VERY little time to completely fill the rear of the combine and a lONG time to dig it out, not to mention damage to the discharge beater. this Dutch_Kirby already has the mounting for a sensor, just had to run a wire and light to the cab. but for no-tilling, I agree w_ Ilnewholland that it is a must, at least for me running 30' platform.

NHD

I like the REM idea best of all.I have used Maurer, Vittletoe, and The Spreader.Single spinner and double spinner.My preference is The Spreader w_double spinners run off the reel drive from the hyd. lines the come to the back of the machine on theTR-99. need to be plumbed properly on older models.The spreaders w_solid pan and a shield around them are no good becuase they stall in heavy straw. The Spreader uses an open spinner with belting paddles. This allows excess straw and chaff to get away.Even the spreader can stall if you don't have it running fast enough or if you accidently stop the header before a big wad clears the combine. We have had it stall in corn in the morning when stalks are wet with dew. A chaff spreader is essential especially for no-till.