Combines 54 ft header

Redman

First of does jd even have a 54'IJ well anyway one of my dads cousins is an agco designer and they are making a 54' header because costom cutters are complaining because a 30' header cannot keep the gleaners full of grain and if the costom cutters run at a speed in which the 30'er keeps it full then the farmers complain becasuse they are going too fast and the farmers think they arent doing a good enough job but truly i dont think any combine on the market today is worth a 54 foot headerIJIJ i mean the only plase you can use that is in north dakota south dakota and australia but other than that its useless and far too big.

Deerebines

Redman...........I cut places today where a 30 foot was even to big. Until they learn to really "flex" that header they better stick with 30's and 30's only. By the way, Is this 54 footer a draper style header or is it supposed to be fashioned after the ones like todayIJ If it's a draper style like honeybee wouldn't the gleaner owners buy one of those if they were so concerned with the farmers complaints of driving to fastIJ Even macdon offers a bigger one than 30 feet I think. Curiosity get's the best of me I guess. Deerebines

T__langan

Redman is full of wind - read the thread by the same name in the Gleaner section. I am not your dad's cousin, idiot!

cat_matt

If someone makes a 54' header, how would a combine unload. A 30' augerIJ

Ice_Man

First of all MacDon does not make a 34' head but they do make a 36', 30', and more smaller headers. The 36' has a standard guage-wheel_transport system which eliminates the need for a header trailer. I have run a 36' about 1000 hrs. off and on for the last 6 years and they are a pleasure to run. As far as getting into a place where it is to big there designs help over come these problems. Such as a narrow gate the header design makes it so it is has more ground clearence than a 930 and allows it to clear the fence. On 95% of terraces the macdon is more efficient because of the floating design allows for a 36' cut rather than a 20 or 25 with a 930. This is the reason for the guage wheels. As far as road transport there have been 2 or 3 times that the head had to be removed that the 930 headers were not. In the field they are a dream to run. With a tweak of the machine here and there we can run the same speed as a 930 and still save the grain as well. The way I see it that is a gain of 20%. There are some draw backs. The 930 requires much less daily service. The macdon is not a heavily built header and has a much shorter life. And by the way it does not have the resale of a green machine. Deere has been working on a draper header for 3 or 4 years now in 30 and 36 feet widths. Honey Bee has a well built header that is probabaly worth the money even over a macdon. But the problem is there dealer network is not very strong except in the northern states and canada. As far as a 54' it better be a draper or it won't be worth owning. Headers are something the manufactures have not put a large emphasis on and should. If you are going to build a 54' straight head what about a 16 row corn headIJ

statboy44

If you look at the product lit. for the Gleaner silver series rotary combines ( brand new R42, 52, 62,72 is called silver series),the product lit. for the small grain has a picture of one. I just saw it at Alexander EQ.