Combines 964 corn header

RPM

800_900_1000 all have knife edge snap rolls, no option was available from IH. The JD had options, this is 1 reason its always a little confusing for some.

little_al

so I.H. corn header cuts the stalk as it pulls through. were has the j.d just pulls cob off the stalk. does this mean you'll have more stalk coming in machine with the I.H.IJ

DK_in_MN

little al, no you will not have more stalk in the machine. Stalks are pulled down thru knives and ear taken off the stalks. If knives are good should barely miss each other as they come together.

RPM

I can usually tell just driving by a corn field whether it was Red or Green combine, no stalks standing after IH, pulverized as ground residue, JD will have stalks erect about half the time.

little_al

what should be the distance between the knives or how much gap should you have between the knives.

little_al

thanks rpm, what if instead of changing every blade i changed every other one. would this help, or do i need to change everyone. trying to cut cost.

RPM

you can end for end edges to get the sharpest edge leading, also shim the brackets in and_or keep the nose bushings tight, if they wear they will always deflect outward increasing the gap over specs, also little weld on tab at top is important, CNH makes 1306207C1 to fix this, a lot of plugging at the top of the snap roll is caused simply by the front or bottom not doing its share of trash handling. If the bottom bracket_pin is worn it should be fixed, I know they are pricey but it contributes to above problems.

DK_in_MN

little al, you can get by changing every other knife, just make sure the two newones are across from each other. You CANNOT just turn knife end for end because of edge on knife, taper has to be to bottom. So you have to take one knife off and put on stalk next to it. Usually the guy gets fed up and puts on new, can get knives for 17-18 dollars, maybe less I haven't priced lately. Cannot just shimm out front support because bushing will get hot if not straight, it correct should be able to move stalk roll back and forth but not up and down. I have available from a company the support with a replacalbe pin in it.