Combines combine comparisson

combineman

I am a new comer to this forum. We had a custom harvest business for nearly 20 years but went broke in 1994. In that time we ran both red and green machines as to satisfy the needs of our customers who had their preferences. We did demo a few gleaners(R72's)and found them to do a pretty good job in small grains and corn of any moisture. However I had one Major concern...finding good dealers on the road. If you have a good one near your home than you shouldn't have that problem. My other concern is Gleaners ability to hold together. My neighbor has a new 1997 model R 72 and is a big Gleaner fan. I ran this machine in corn last fall and it was a rare day to harvest without a breakdown. I was told that in the first 300 hours, he had nearly 13,000 dollars warrenty work done. Maybe the bugs had to be workedout but Still I was not impressed. Final note...the cab was noisy and not near as user friendly as Deere which by the way is still my favorite combine. I guess you'll have to try them both to see.

Dan

combineman, Just though I would take a look at JD page and I found your post. You said the R-72 did a pretty good job. Well I can tell you that the job it was doing then is nothing compaired to what is can do with just a couple simple mods. If you don't have a good dealer nearby haul it to a good one before harvest and you won't need a good one nearby. If your neighbor had that much trouble the combine must of missed predelivery completely. You quoted a horrable amount for warrentee work was done. That amount is as much as many many machines threw there complete warrentee period at our dealership. What happenedIJ Did they loose a cummins engine or what. I wonder what made the cab so noisy. Normally there is a little hydro noise but certainly not objectionable. You said it is not very user friendly in cab. I wonder how it could get better for everthing is arranged and at your fingertips. Please have your neighbor e-mail me for there is one simple mod for his R-72 to make it a true animal even in the wetest posible conditions. I wish Jim would put his posting on Gleaner page to get a little input there,Dan. +