Combines 6600 to 6620 or 7720

Combineman

Where do you farm and what do you raiseIJ If you are wanting to stay with Deere, and you want to stay with a 20 series, then a 7720 titan II is a good choice. Don't under estimate a 7720. Even with a 160 Hp engine, it will keep you running in good corn. I can pick 160-180 bu. corn with a 8 row 30" at an honest 3-3.5 mph. If you look at a Titan (yellow cab) buy at least a 1982 or newer. A 1983 you can get a 2 speed cylinder. And see if the beater has been changed to a 6 wing. And make sure it has a reverser in it. That's one reason I'd stay away from a 1460 or a 1480. The 1600 series is a better choice if you want to look at Case IH. CM

johnah

The JD 7720 titanII is the better choice if you stay with JD. If you consider CIH, the reverser can be installed on the 1400 series and many in our trade area have done so-if CIH, stay with either the 60 or 80 models...virtually all the updates can be installed on the earlier models and are available as kits thereby avoiding buying the necessary parts one piece at a time. Ohio CIH dealer

Combineman

Davey, We had a custom harvest business for about 20 years and on top of the farm, and mechanic work, we've had over 40years combine experience. I've owned as many as 6 Case IH's at one time and don't tell me that they don't break down. Every one of our Rotors were Specialty rotors and believe me, you still need a reverser. If you buy one with out, someday you'll kick yourself when your unloading the front of it by hand. As far as John Deere's "many moving parts"....they can and do break down just like every other color of combine. I've know of a custom harvester that is still making runs from Texas to Montana every year with a pair of old yellow cab 8820's. They each have over 9000 hrs on them. and they go through them each winter. I have never heard of a Case that lasted 9000 hrs. CM