Combines Row crop soybean head

Roger

Brian, I have a 653 row crop head (early one, before they made the "A" series)on a '79 7720 and I love it. I've never run a combine with a platform, so I can't really compare (been around platforms but never run one). one bad thing is you can't cut around replanted wet holes. I especially lIKE the way they evenly feed to the cylinder, no slugs, My neighbor has a 9600 with a 930 platform and I can hear across the field when the slugs hit the cylinder. One thing about row heads is you have to drive pretty accurately, with mine I can stay on the rows easier at higher speed,(about 7 mph.) than slower(4 mph.) Other guys will say there is higher maintenance on row heads, It does take time to check everything over compared to a platform, I start a month ahead of cutting time to go over mine thoroughly then I don't have problems when I need to be cutting. The best thing I did is call Shoup mfg in Kankakee Ill. (800 627 6137) and got their Roto Shoes (about 100 bucks per row but WEll worth it) my head had poly skid shoes at first and wore them out in 160 acres but the roto shoes have been on for 8 yrs now and only thing I've done to them is wiggle them each year to see if any bad bearings,none yet. I am running them in the middle holes on height adjustment. Hope this answered some questions, if any more let me know, I'll try to help some more. Roger in iowa

Roger

Jim, is your 12 row a custom built or one Deere built for a whileIJ what combineIJ just curious. Roger

JIM

WE have two one custom and one Deere.Both are on 9600 WORKKK great.ONE cut with us this year on a new CASE IH it was a 12 row also.

tank

Just wondering how the rowcrop heads handle stones or do you have anyIJ Someone told me if anything jams in the row when you reverse the head you lose everything inthe headIJ Also wondering how the Case IH compared to the 9600'sIJ

Roger

Tank, I do have rocks catch in the gathering belts occasionally, most are big enough they can't get any further than where the belts begin to mesh together,I've only found 1 rock in the rock trap in 9 years and it was pretty small. I don't run any rock guards ahead of the belts, the guy that had the head before me took them out and threw them away,besides they do make it harder yet to stay on the rows. As far as losing anything, when I reverse the head it don't take much to get the rock out. Other times if I do have to reverse the head longer for any other problems, it will dump everything that's not threshed back on the ground, but I pick the beans up and throw them back in anyway. I like my row crop head, I'll never have a platform. Roger

Brian

I ridge-till; do you see any problem(s) the row crop head might have in that situationIJAlso, I raise a large portion of my soybean acres as seed beans. Most seed companies are very fussy about dirt in thier beans. I've heard that the row crop heads like to pick up soil lumps; is there anything to thatIJThanksBrian

Roger

Brian, not sure about the ridge till, I can tell you that row crop heads WIll take in dirt clods, I would think that the fan would blow the dirt out unless mine isn't running fast enough

JIM

BRIAN,I RIDGE TIll IN AR.DIRT ClODS GET WET AND ARE A lITTlE PROBlEM HERE.BUT ROW HEADS ARE THE WAY TO GO.9600 GETS AROUND BETTER IN MUD THAN CASEIH CAN CUT lITTlE FASTER. CASEIH DOES A ClEAN JOB.GOOD RIGS TO BUT lIKE 9600 MORE. JIM