Combines Reel bypass valve

BR549

The 9000 series had a relief valve on it for the reel drive it is set a 2030psi (+_- 250psi)there is not an effective way to set up a by pass for the reel for the simple reason anything sencitive enough to stop it will also make it a headache for youit will always be stoppingthe best thing to do keep an eye on what you are cutting and train your opperators to that is the best defence against breaking down.As a mechanic i find the biggest problem with most breakdowns sits in the cab!no offence but realisticly think about most breakdowns......they are operator error

GONCUTN

I do agree that it is operator error but there is from time to time

maximizer

I was thinking about the problem you are facing with the stones etc. You said that you are only cutting low occationaly. If this is the case may be the solution would be to rig up a little slip clutch system coming off the drive gears for the reel, or even a shear bolt would work. The only problem with the shear bolt is you would have to get out of the machine and replace if an object was struck. The only other way to possible solve the problem that I can think of is to run pick-up reels. This probably is not practical. Just some ideas for you to consider.

OhioCCA

I'm not sure this will help because I have a feeling your running rigid heads. When we run into trouble with down wheat, we turn the bars loose on our flex platforms and run with the auto header controls. We set the controls for as light contact as possible. This lets the platform raise up over obstructions like rocks. May want to consider equiping a machine or two with the flex heads for this problem. The pickup reels help alot in these conditions with the hydraulic fore-aft. We run the reels out and down to lift the crop.

M__Gorden

Several years ago, I put a reel drive hydraulic relief valve on two 200 series flex headers. These headers used wooden bat reels and objects in the field would jam the reel and break the bats before the operator could shut down. Gresen Hydraulics (phone 1-612-623-1960) makes a simple 1_2 inch port valve with a relief adjustment screw that allows you to set the bypass threshold from 1000 to 2000 psi. It seems to me we got along with settings as low as 1200 psi in most conditions. That setting greatly reduced the damage to the reel bats. You should find such a valve in most any hydraulic catalog. They cost less than $100.00 each. They have 3 ports. The through ports supply the pressure side of the reel motor and the bypass port tees into the motor's return side.

Ice_Man

Deere made a releif kit available for the 1998 model year as an available option. The kit number is BH81313. It comes as a kit with new headers and can be installed in about 30-45 minutes. It requires drilling a couple of holes in the reel arm and painting the bracket in the early produced kits. the valve mounts on the reel arm and the 2 hoses from the back sheet of the header to the reel drive motor are replaced by 4 shorter hoses. the valve can be adjusted about 5 and 1_2 turns. At max releif the reel basically does not even turn.