Combines JOHN DEERE 55 AND 95 TIPS

clipper

the worst thing about the 55 and 95 combines are if they are gasoline the liners only have one sealing ring and they will get water in the oil. another place that likes to give trouble is the cradle that houses the variable ground speed sheaves. vibration from the belts likes to crack the housing and will vibrate the whole machine. the 55 will outclean a 95 in wheat. the liner problem is only on 303 engines.

clipper

there two square back machines, the earlier machines had 217 engines and the clean grain elevator auger is down low in the tank. on the earlier machines equipped with hopper extensions the drive for the loading auger will wear much quicker than the later combines with the high mounted auger. also the unloading auger will break at the hinge if you do not build a cradle to hold it in the folded position when crossing turn rows. a 55 that i have run has over 2000 hrs on it and the only bearing that has been replaced was the bellcrank that drives the knife. this machined was bought new by my father and it was always sheded. last year when combining oats with this machine the feederhouse chain caught some of the stuctural material inside the feeder and did some damage. i discovered that all of this material has worn very sharp and some spot welds have failed that support the seperator sheet between the chain and needs to be replaced. i work for the local deere dealer and i can tell you that parts are getting more scarce mostly coming out of pdw and i feel that when they are depleted that we will be out of new parts.

wheat_whacker

Clipper failed to mention that he misdiagnosed transmission trouble in that 55. he kept me up until 3 in the morning taking that thing out. the trouble was not in the transmission ,rather variable speed sheeve has some wear and was causing the vibration. i am glad clipper isn't my doctor. just kidding clipper! he knows more about those old combines than i ever met. i can give him a hard time he is my cousin and farming partner.

GRAINMAN

ClIPPER and WW, THANKS FOR All THE ADVICE. KEEP SENDING MORE MY WAY, AS I READ IT WITH GREAT INTREST. MY 55 NEEDS AUGER REPAIR AT THE POINT BETWEEN THE TANK BUT BEFORE THE HINGE FOR THE SPOUT. I PlAN TO FIX IT BY CUTTING OUT THE DAMAGE AND PUTTING IN HEAVIER SHEET METAl. TEll ME MORE ABOUT THE CRADlE FOR THE AUGER. AlSO ON MY 95, THE TAIlINGS AUGER HOUSING IS CRACKED DUE TO THE RECIPOROCATING SHOE HITTING IT AT IT'S lOWEST POINT, ANY IDEAS TO FIX THATIJ THANKS.

wheat_whacker

The only thing i can think of on the clean grain auger is maybe the rubber bushings in the shaker shoe arms are out or really worn. i am sure clipper can help us on this and the other issues you mentioned. Are you just cutting wheat with these combinesIJ WW

GRAINMAN

WW, I lIVE IN THE SW CORNER OF MISSOURI --- FESCUE IS OUR PRIMARY CROP AND WE HARVEST AND AVERAGE OF 1,000 ACRES EACH YEAR. TRYING TO GET TWO 55'S AND A 95 READY TO RIP AND ROAR.

clipper

Is your machine a late model or earlier machine. The later machines had a reciprocating shoe and early machines the shoe was stationary and the sieves and chaffer rocked inside the shoe. In the earlier machines fatigue of the material would cause the arms to contact the sides of the machine. The later machines didn't give that much trouble.

clipper

you need to build a cradle that the auger will sit in when it is folded. build a saddle and position it above the rear hood that houses the straw walkers. there is some good material that you can secure it to where the rear hood fastens to the seperator housing.