Combines 8820

Deerebines

Well Farmer.......That really nails down the problem. What is wrong with the machine that you hate it so muchIJ I ran an older 8820 for a college buddies dad once (turbo series) and even with 3000 hours on it it was still a wheat eating sonofagun. Sure we had daily breakdowns but with those kind of hours on it what can a person expect. You need to be more specific on here. I've asked plenty of questions here and have gained considerable knowledge over any problem I encountered. I encourage you to elaborate!!!

FARMER

Sorry.....One of the problems i have is that the feeder house keeps getting pluged up when combing corn,......I also here loud noise almost like a lound pitch screem sound.......i only had (1,234 hour)on this machine......The fan that keeps the engine cool...that pluges up to....please help me

OhioCCA

On the feeder house, are you changing the height adjustment on the front drum for cornIJ Needs to be in the up position. Can you give us a better idea where you think the high pitch noise is coming fromIJ Does it do it all the time, or just if certain parts of the combine are runningIJ If you are getting trash covering the radiator, it sounds like the seals need to be checked. If the screen is turning, you have to have a spot somewhere that is allowing the stuff to get in.

Deerebines

Farmer.......I don't know what is the answer here but I will also try to give some suggestions. There is a slip clutch at the top of the feederhouse on the right side where the feederhouse connects to the combine. Make sure that nut is tight. Mine worked loose on my 6620 and even the slightest of wheat through the machine made it plug. Right or wrong I tightened the nut down bottoming out the spring and torqued it. Seemed to solve the problem for me. As far as the radiator plugging. look for a leak around any sealing foam or rubber. Does this machine get sheddedIJ Did you clean it so well after harvest that a mouse would starve to death looking for grain in itIJ Mice can raise such heck with a machine over the winter months. Thank gosh for D-con ........Anyway's back to the subject at hand. The screaming noise: Is it coming from the engine compartmentIJ Chances are it's only the fan running that your hearing. They tend to make a high pitch whine when the engine is wide open at full load. (At least from my experiences). This will give you a place to start. I just can't imagine that your 8820 with those kind of hours can be in that bad of shape unless maintenance had been at a minimum on it. Did you buy the machine new or just aquire it recentlyIJ Perhaps you inherited a problemIJ let me know what you find. Good luck!!!!

doyle

I ran a 8820 for 12 years before half heartedly trading it for a 9600. With proper up keep and care the 8820 will run right up there with the new ones

sinc

The scream could be a seal between your blower of the turbo and the manifold. There is a short pipe between the blower and manifold that has a o-ring seal. If it is poor it will make a high whistling sound.

95man

On the 230, make sure the feeding fingers are all there and in good condition, there are 2 bearings in the middle of the header and 2 on the ends, make sure they are all good, sickle section and guards goodIJ As for the separator, is the feeder house bottom and chain in good shapeIJ Concave in good shapeIJ Rasp bars have a good edgeIJ Cylinder bearings, primary countershaft bearings, engine powershaft bearings, rotary deflector barings, secondary countershaft bearings, shoe drive jackshaft bearings, straw walker bearings, shoe grain auger delivery bearings grain tank loading and unloading bearings, elevator bearings all in good shapeIJ Whew!! my brain is empty for now, if anything else pops up, i'll write.

The_Deere_Man

DEPENDING ON THE CROP THIS COMBINE HAS HARVESTED WIll DETERMINE THE AMOUNT 0F WEAR INSIDE THE COMBINE. IT IS COMON TO FIND THE SHOE ASSEMBlY TO START TO FATIGUE AND CRACK IN THE FRONT RIGHT CORNER, SO REMOVE THE TOP SIEVE AND INSPECT IT`S CONDITI0N. THE OTHER WEAR PONTS ARE THE ClEAN GRAIN ElEVATOR DOOR AND THE TOP OF THE ClEAN GRAIN ElEVATOR. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REPlACE THE ElEVATOR CHAIN OR REMOVE CHAIN lINKS, SAME ON THE RETURN ElEVATOR. CHECK THE WEAR ON THE FEEDER HOUSE DOOR AND HINGE AREA. CONDITION OF THE FEEDER CHAIN AND SPROKETS ARE IMPORTANT. IF YOU REMOVE THR FEEDER HOUSE lAY A STRAIGHT EDGE ON THE THIRD BAR OF THE CONCAVE AND SEE HOW STRAIGHT THE CONCAVE IS TO THE GAP OF THE RASP BARS IF MOSTlY STAIGHT CUTTING WAS DONE THE WEAR SHOUlD BE THE SAME ACROSS THE COMBINE. A SMAll COMBINE SUCH AS THE 6620 AND 7720 DOES NOT SHOW THID WEAR AS MUCH. CHECK BEARINGS,BElTS PUllYS,ETC JUST lIKE YOU DID YOUR OlD MACHINE. I HAVE SEEN WHERE THE DRIVE COUPlER BETWEEN THE HYDRO AND THE INPUT SHAFT OF THE TRANSMISSION HAS WORN WHICH CAN CAUSE A CHATTER SOUND OR STOP DRIVING THE COMBINE COMPlETElY. IN MY OPINION THE 8820 IS A VERY RElIABlE MACHINE. I AM A SEVICE MANAGER FOR A DEAlERSHIP IN SOUTHERN AlBERTA CANADA, AND WE SERVICE ABOUT 20 8820 AND ClOSE TO 200 MAXIMIZER COMBINES. I HOPE THIS lITTlE BIT OF INFORMATION CAN HElP YOU WITH YOUR HARVEST THIS YEAR. YOU HAVE MADE A GOOD CHOICE WITH THE 8820. IF YOU GOING TO DO A lOT OF PICK-UP WORK INSTAll REVERSE FlIGHTING ON THE AUGER WHICH WIll SAVE EXCESSIVE WEAR ON CONCAVE. THE 230 HEADER DOSE NOT HAVE AlOT OF ADJUSTMENT lIKE THE 900 SERIES HEADER, BUT I CAN TEll YOU THIS KEEP THE FINGERS 5_8 OF AN INCH FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE FlOOR AND INSTAll A REAR WIPER STRIP ON THE FlOOR AND THIS WIll HElP WITH EVEN FEEDING, YOU CAN BUY THIS KIT FROM YOUR lOCAl JOHN DEERE DEAlER. ONCE AGAIN GOOD lUCK.