Combines combine

luke

the year, a cupholder, and some perforated shields around the cleaning fan

spud

The 1994 9600's had some changes made that greatly reduced the amount of dust that comes out of the front of the feederhouse. A definate improvement.

kinetic

I also believe the '94 model has about 30 more horsepower than the '91. '91-230. '94-265.

VAfarmboy

What is Deere going to do with all of the low hour Case IH rotaries that they are taking on tradeIJ

greenstrat

go figure..this way now deere will control the price of all the available red units..so this will allow deere to effectively crash the price on axial flows just like they did for there own oversold units. Red guys can't afford to trade for red because red dealers won't pay enough for the old machines,although they charge way to much for the used unit once they get them. Price of a used deere unit is in the tank, and they want to even the playing field.

VAfarmboy

I am not sure it is Deere's fault that the prices for used combines are falling out of bed. There is just not that much demand for used combines, and other farm equipment like there used to be a number of years ago. Small farmers like myself who work several hundred acres and buy used equipment are are getting fewer and fewer, and most of the big operations don't want to fool with a someone else's used equipment. What is happening is that all of these great big combines and tractors with a couple thousand hours on them that were built in the last decade are being traded in, and there are very few potential buyers for them. I think the prices will continue to fall, which is good news if you are in the market for a used combine like I am. If you are looking to sell, or trade one I think you are going to take a bath. I know a guy who bought a 1991 9400 with both heads for $30,000 at an auction last winter. The combine looks new, and had only 1700 hrs on it. He said he didn't really need the second machine, but nobody wanted to bid, and it was such a steal he decided to buy it. If I had been at that sale, that 9400 would be sitting in my shed right now! It might get there yet, if I can cut a deal with him. They also gave away an 8400 with 500 hrs on it for $45,000 at that sale as well.

greenstrat

some sale! you should have bought the 8400. I think if you couldn't have used it , you might have made about twenty thousand on it. I agree, most farmers have jumped way beyond me in acres (and greed) around me, and they mostly lease new equipment, beat the tar out of it without even owning a grease gun, then roll it over in one, two or three years. These machines sit on dealers lots and are waxed to the max and look like new-however they are a bomb looking for someone like me who can't afford new anymore to trade into them. I too am looking to get into a newer machine..but I am not sure if it will be another deere. Good luck!

VAfarmboy

Yeah I know the feeling about having greedy neighbors. I recently lost a farm that dad and I had been renting since 1978. The old folks who owned the place, would never have taken it away from us, but their kids who lived out of state inherited it. A poor little rich boy who farms thousands of acres on the other side of the county went to them and told them he wanted to rent the place. At first they declined because we had been so good to their parents over the years. He went back, and told them "money was no object, he would pay whatever it took for them to rent him the land." He more than doubled what I could afford to pay them so I really could not blame them for renting it to the guy. His father owned a very sucessful trucking business which he sold for a huge profit, and he also inherited millions from his father. I just can't compete with someone who is farming as a hobby, and dosen't give a rip about making a profit, and is just blowing money to keep the IRS from taxing it. I hated to lose the acres, but what can you do. You are right about that equipment. A lot of it has been ragged out by the original owner who knew they would be rid of it before the warranty ran out and it flew all to hell. One of the big farmers that I deal with in full time job as an Extension Agent brags that he does not change the oil, or grease any of his equipment because he leases them for a year and then rolls them over at the end of the year. Earlier this year he was telling me about his new STS combine. He said he didn't think anything would slow down that STS, he said he had run sticks and limbs, through it and it just ground them right up. I thought why don't you get your lazy self down out of that cab and move the limbs out of the field.

greenmachine

Thats one good reason not to buy used equipment.. Hell most of us cannot afford to buy new.. I havent bought any major equipment new since 1985 when I traded my 82 6620 flatlander for a 86 6620 sidehill.. I have pretty much kept everything running from good maintenance.. I wont buy new and i wont buy used, never know what u are gonna get.. low hours doesnt really mean too much to me.. if it wasnt taken care of it wasnt taken care of, low hours or high hours.. I dunno what i am gonna do when i wear out this combine.. Probably get out of farming, i just cant take the risk of buying used, and i cant afford to buy new.. I also have a 1979 4240 bought new w_ 8500hrs, and a 1984 4440 bought new w_ 6500hrs, then the old lP 4020 bought new by my grandfather w_ 11,500hrs, all original.. Prices will hopefully come down on new items and grain prices will go up.. But i dont expect it.. Good luck to all!