Combines Fire

Dan

Thats a scary word. One should look for them areas that straw tends to pack in tight and keep them clean. As time goes on and problem areas show up Gleaner has tried to stream line them areas where buildup is a problem. I'm unsure where your head is as far as the stream lining. There was a two blade fan added inbetween nut and wobble box pulley to try cause some air movement. There has been tin work added to help the straw and chaff to keep sliding out of that area. Maybe you should monitor the problem area often to see where it starts to build up. Check for excess length on bolt heads that could be ground off or sharp corners that is snaging and holding straw. Maybe you need to trim bottom lip of shield to prevent it from holding straw in there. I would suggest large fire extenquishers on all machines for they can sure prevent a totally recked day, month, or year. Best of luck.

NHD

I have not experienced or heard of the injector tubing cracking or causing fire. We did have the rubber return line sprig a leak on the CR940 serial n100300 back in '03.

CR940

The first year we ran ours the hand primer pump housing cracked twice and an injector line broke. The cause for all of this was the inner bolt on the injector pump was never tightened at the factory. By the end of the season it took a new injector pump because the inner mounting flange was broken off. Wish i'd have had a match the day the injector line broke.

Dustmaker

We had all kinds of problems with injector lines the first year. New Holland had a campaign to replace the whole set, last winter. I guess it depends on serial n, but they replaced them all. They DO have a problem. You need to press the dealer to get it done.

HCT

We have had quite a few CX840 fail the n1 injector line, but have never had a fire. lucky I guess. The CR940 runs the same engine so probably has some failures also. Had a new 840 last fall that failed the line. Seems to be always n1

JHEnt

I think all of the machines thru 2004 built were supposed to have the whole line set changed.

cnhtek

the CR940 and the CX840 both have the same engines and both have had a lot of trouble with the injection lines. They were not clamped properly at one of the bending points, and then were flexing too much causing them to break. There was a modification from new holland to change these injector line sets, the new set is heavier and clamped properly. The chances of creating a fire hazard is obvious if these lines do break.

hooter

I have had dozens of fires. Sometimes as many as 10 in one day. Mainly harvesting chickpeas, as these have a highly flamable dust. All of these fires start on or around the turbo, then the fan blows the burning ember down the left of the machine, or if there is a breeze it can end up anywhere. Inside the back axle is a bit of a challenge to put out and hard to see in the mirrors. I have not lost a combine but have had some anxious moments getting to the water cart.