Combines Canola Settings

john_keller

Usually the problem with canola is straw breakup which overloads the shoe or can plug the cage sweep. N series handled canola very well. Concave at 3_4 and air at 5 to 7. If the cage sweep plugs install all 5 of the cage covers that came with the combine. If the cage sweep still plugs I have had good luck installing a piece of rubber hose on the middle rear cage sweep tine about 12 inches long. If the straw is real brittle wrap a round baler belt around the separator side of the cage to reduce shoe load.

B

We have an MF860, and if I go by the book for settings, most of my canola would be blown out of the combine. Cylinder setting is quite wide, and I make sure that my first [top] sieve is open, so that the seed falls right away on the 2nd sieve....that's where I start to make a few "finer" settings towards the end. The same for the 3rd sieve...just make sure that your return does not plug up. I rather have chaff in my seed, then clean seed, cause I know that's when I am loosing seed out of the combine. As for fan settings, I set mine about 3_4 's, so a fairly good breeze to suspend the chaff. But then to each it's own..it has worked for me for years now! B.

combine_mama

I find it interesting that B suggests leaving the top sieve open. Doesn_t everything fall directly onto the round hole sieve beneath itIJ We ran into lots of trouble with combine settings,(MF 860) and after much experimentation, finally came up with something we would settle on. Do you have your 860 equipped with the smaller round hole screens as suggested in the owners manualIJ. Our MF dealer had never heard of them.

B

No Mama.....my top sieve is a chaffer type {adjustable], and my 2nd and 3rd are standard [adjustable]. It takes some playing around, but I do know that this works for me. May I add, that to me every crop [canola] differs a little in settings. Hope it works out for Bryon; don't give up....and never mind some chaff!!!

chad

Using Petersen chaffers and sieves, top to bottom, can make a huge difference, including the short bottom front.

Bigsky

Start with wind @ about 860rpm, bottom sieve 1_8", top chaffer about 5_8ths. Keep precleaner closed. Run concave about 4 and more if very dry. Run cylinder in low range..wide open (500IJ)

prairieboy

we run our cylinder in high range at 600 to 700 rpm.s depending on conditions fan a 1000, bottom seive at one quarter inch, and topp seive at three eights of inch and concaves at 6to 8 depending on conditions.

prairieboy

setting for canola. run cylinder in high range from 600-700 r.p.m. depending on conditions, concave at 6-8, fan speed at 1000, bottom seive at one quarter inch, and top seive at three eighth inch. it is better if you run cylinder in high range less trouble with plugging cylinder.