Combines R 50

Keith

We have an 89 R50 with 2700 engine hours. This can be a good machine with a few modifications. Check the bearings on the front feeder chain drums. Update to 6 bolt flanges and heavier bearings. They will last a lot longer and are a real pain to replace mid-season. The front feeder chain will work a lot better (less wrapping and backfeeding) if you install a false floor between the chain. It costs about $2500 Can. but worth it. On the back chain make sure it has cob shields in front of the drive sprockets. They will keep cobs from getting underneath and flipping the chain off. Again something you don't want to have happen when you're busy. With that many hours you will likely have the original concave. Take out every other wire. This will keep it from plugging up with corn cobs and give you better performance in soybeans.

D

To Keith : Thanks for the info, I'm from Sask. so an interested in any info on small grains ,wheat.barley canola, flax, peas etc. The machine I'm looking at has had the concave replaced (2 years) feeder chain (3chain offset slats ,1year) and new accelerator rolls . My question is what is the air cooled engine likeIJ The previous owner claimed the engine used oil from new, the Dealer says thats normal for these Deutz motors to use oil. What have you foundIJ

Keith

To Don. The Deutz motor hasn't given us any trouble. The secret is to keep them clean. I take an air hose to the fins and heat exchangers every time I'm near the shop. They normally use some oil. Ours takes a litre every 8-10 hours and it is because of the way they have the crankcase vented. It's not due to any internal problem. One thing to look for on the engine is the viscous drive cooling fan. If it has operated in a lot of dusty conditions it can wear razor thin and break. Shouldn't be a problem with that many hours. With those parts replaced and that crop mix it should be a decent machine. One more thing. If it is primarily a grain machine the return elevator should feed into the cylinder and not back to the accelerator rolls. Hope this helps.

Joe

Keith, I am also located in Southern Ontario, and we are looking for a used Gleaner. Could you please tell me which dealer you deal with. It is obivous you have a high regard for him.

D

Keith: ON the engine, thats what I'm hearing on oil usage, seems to be the norm for these motors. Thanks again for the info . Don

D

Keith: ON the engine, thats what I'm hearing on oil usage, seems to be the norm for these motors. Thanks again for the info . Don

Keith

Joe. The dealer is Hyde Bros. in Hensall, 519-262-2605. The people to talk to are Terry or Bob Caldwell.

Springlad_Farms

We have had several problems with our 96 R52 and was wondering ifa anyone else

lil_Wheats

We run Deere mostly and all I was really looking for was info pertaining to level land Gleaners. I would really like comparison stats but general info would be appreciated. I run wheat on hillsides so I am not sure what is the best machine for the buck.

Wade

My brother owns both an l2 and an R50. I have run both as well as several other Gleaners. The l2 gets as much done as the R50 (wheat) and is easier to work on. We constantly have overheating problems with the R50 in 95 degree plus weather. I am definitely not a fan of the air cooled Deutz engine. Also, the air conditioner on the R50 doesn't quite keep up either. It can be properly serviced, new filter, condenser and evaporator coils blown out, and still barely cool the cab to where it is tolerable. I also like to bale straw once in a while. I have baled behind the R50 but don't get too much. The l2 has the chopper we can move forward and leave the straw in the windrow. If I could only have one, it would be the l2. If I were you, I would keep the l2 or upgrade to a newer machine without the Deutz. Just my opinion....