Combines Grass seed anyone with experienceIJ

R

If you have a specific question about harvesting grass seed, please post it and I'll try to answer it. Concerning crested wheat grass, Allis has a deflector set which decreases wind from 25 to 100%. It's called a small grain kit. Otherwise they are easy to make.

T

I was wondering if the new combines will run fescue and cloverIJ will they do a good job. If they will what modifications would be needed.

Ed

I've harvested red clover once with my '88 R50. I have the small seeds kit.

Greg

I am also interested in learning how rotaries do with fescue seed. We currently run an M, with a M2 shoe. We have a seed kit for the fan. We run the chaffer closed, with the seive open. This gives us a fairly good sample of seed and only plugs up the shoe on occaision. We are buying an N7 and are wondering if it will do as well or if it will grind up the stems so much that they can not be separated from the seed. With our M, we run the soybean pulley on the cylinder to slow it down as much as possible. This helps the sample. A related question, with the M we have trouble with the seed flowing out of the bin. It piles up and "bridges" across the many supports in the bin. We have opened up the movable covers over the horizontal auger. This has helped some, but we still have to use a long stick to jab at the seed and make it flow. Definitley not the best or safest method. Has anyone tried removing the cover over the horizontal auger completelyIJ Will this cause the auger to overload and become pluggedIJ Any information will be appreciated. Greg

elephant

We are also looking for info on bluegrass with an N6---any help appreciated.ThanksDavid and Paul