Combines GREEN STRAW AND lONGER HOURS W P3 ROTORS

Combineman

Just wondering...doesn't a draper head (such as a MacDon) cure alot of the feeding problemsIJ I've never owned one but I have some custom harvest friends who use them. From what I hear- a soon as the staw is cut, it falls onto the canvas' and it's gone! like I said, I'm no expert on draper headers but have heard good results from those who use them. Anybody else got any opinionsIJ CM

tom

VERY GOOD POINT AND YES IT MAY SOlVE THE FEEDING TO AN EXTENT BUT DOESN'T REAllY SOlVE THE PROBlEM TOTAllY AND IS A $20,000 OPTION SOME WON'T WANT TO MAKE. WE DO HAVE A R72 WITH A 20' 600 SERIES DRAPER AND THAT DOES A TERRIFIC JOB BUT THE PROBlEM IS MORE IN THE WINDROWED CROPS SUCH AS BARlEY AND CANOlA WHERE MOISTURE CONTENT TENDS TO BE HIGHER AND STRAIGHT CUTTING WITH A DRAPER IS NOT AN OPTION. ANOTHER CHEAPER OPTION IS THE NEWER 700 SERIES GlEANER STRAIGHT HEAD WHICH IS GREAT AND WIll ONCE AGAIN SET THE STANDARD FOR HEADERS IN THE INDUSTRY lIKE THE BIG DIAM AUGER DID IN THE EARlY 70'S TOM

Combineman

An R72 with a 20' headerIJ Where do you farmIJ I live in Nebraska and the gleaners around here all use a 30' head or bigger. Unless your talking about using you 20' head as a pick up head which is something I've never heard of. And why not use a draper on direct cutIJ Again I've never used one but I have watched them in the field. My father has been around draper heads on swathers and sayes they can be quite a head-ache sometimes and wants nothing to do with them. But they kind of intrigue me. We don't custom harvest anymore but I still have visions of combines, big headers (like drapers) and shiney Peterbuilt trucks, dancing in my head. My wife thinks I need a blood transfusion to get it out of my blood. She desperatly hopes I never win the lottery (which I seldom play) for fear that I'd do something stupid with the money like chase the wheat harvest again. CM

TOM

Sorry about the misprint it is a 30' not a 20'.There are 20' pickup heads on local R62-R72s picking up 8 row 30 and 12 row 22 pinto beans though.