Combines 2166 vs r62

• Thread starter Hyper_Harvest_II
  • Start date

Hyper_Harvest_II

Jay, First of all,you need to compare apples to apples.If you are looking at a R62,you need to be comparing it to a 2388.Dealer and parts availabilty are always a must to consider.As for capacity,the R62 (if setup right)will walk away from the 2388.Don't get me wrong though,Gleaner will have to keep pushing and striving for more with Case-IH knocking on the door.Both machines have excellent features,but if you have been around Gleaners,you'll stick with them for ease of serviceabilty.Only my opinion,I'm sure there are more out there. Hyper Harvest II

Fastrac

I feel that the R-62 is a much more user friendly machine it is very easy to service and is a good running combine in both beans and corn. I also think Agco will continue to strive and better the current machines. We have 2 R-62 one with the turret unloading auger works like a dream really do not notice it when unloading on the go in beans have not run any corn with it yet. We really have had good luck with Gleaners and do not plan to change for awhile. My opinion onlly and what you get used to.Thank you

Kenc

I just commented yesterday in an e-mail that I feel the C-IH's come setup for high performance, and the AGCO factory is a little behind it's customers. I know two custom cutters that have told me the equal models-gleaners set up right will walk away from any color. Neither runs gleaners because of dealer factors-so I think their statements bode some weight. After making the mod's suggested here, my gleaner is a totally new machine. The only adv. I feel CIH has is their gentleness to soybeans-they never seem to crack any. If you're disgusted with your 60 but do not have a p-3 processor, or have not at least removed your reverse bars, or gone to the wide space cylinder bars, you haven't experienced what a properly set up machine will do.

Jay

Thanks for the info.I guess the main reason I asked is because I really do like the Gleaner but we have no dealer support.They have been a Gleaner dealer for only 4 years,and know nothing about them.It is so bad they have been demonstrating an R52 for 2 months in wheat and beans and couldn't understand why no one liked it.We asked to try it and found out the chopper was in slow speed with no knives engaged,varible speed header drive was not locked out,concave was set like conventional,etc...Once we set it up they thought it was a totally different machine.The do not stock any parts,not even common ones.I would go to another dealer but the next closest is a 2 hour drive away.So is it still worth the effortIJ

Tom

Jay your dealer sounds like the one I bought my R60 from. Get the money and forget you. But this board put me in touch with some guys who really know their Gleaners and I followed their advice. What a difference! This year, my R60 with same mods you have plus hi-lo cylinder bars and squaring the concave properly, is a truly awesome machine. Beans in MN are the worst Ive ever seen; green stems, lots of green leaves, and 13% beans that shatter on the sickle if I cut them in the sunshine. Hard to believe, isnt it. My neighbor cut his on a sunny day with a 1-year-old JD because he couldnt go when there was due on the plants and he covered the ground with beans. I cut mine when everyone else stayed homein light drizzle, or in the morning or early evening when there was moisture on the plants to prevent shattering. A factory set-up machine would have been stopped dead but my Modified R60 handled everything the sickle could cut. Many thanks to Hyper Harvest II (Moeller Ag) in Iowa for telling me what to do, and to Hurtt Implement in ND, Rolf Hedt in Australia, and John Keller at AGCO for advice. Tom Russell

johnah

Hyper Harvest--- As a loyal red dealer and rotary combine owner, feel it necessary to respond to your post...... When we prepare for a demo for a Gleaner owner, particularly if he has used or had an R- series demo'd....we know that raw capacity is going to be one of the first subjects discussed...and you are correct- the R series is a handful! - I give credit where due. Where your Gleaner is vulnerable is dealer support(in many areas) and resale ,which is killing current owners--on this point, CIH is making significant progress in market share and will continue to do so as long as the support problem continues---that says NOTHING derogatory about your combine and I'd be the first to admit it is a worthy competitor in the field- but that's only a part of the "best" combine debate - product support is the most critical measure of "best"-in my opinion. My compliments on your post re 2366 not 2166--most would have hit the color bash button and ruined a good opportunity to add solid info to the discussion.