Combines R62 and fines

john_keller

When you say fines I assume you are talking about kernels of corn ground up. On a trip last week I reduced the fines, and broken kernels, by leveling the concave. Run the concave up to 0 while rotating the cylinder until it ticks. Check the back of the concave for level from side to side. Check the front of the concave through the rock door. If the concave is not level it will grind the corn and produce fines. I usually run the concave at 10, cylinder speed 300, front of the concave dropped down 2 marks towards MAX. Air at 7. chaffer at 1_2". Seive 5_16 to 3_8".If you have a hugger corn head install the hopper slope kit. A lot of broken kernels start at the front of the feed chains.

Dusty

Thanks for answering my question John. We do not have a hugger header yet, but sure would like to have one. Our header is a 1986 model black header. Is there quite a difference between the hugger and the black headersIJ We seem to be losing a lot of ears over the sides of the header. Is there an extension kit from wholesale to put on the sides to help save ears or notIJ What are some of the problems associated with hugger headersIJ Thanks again for your help. Dusty

Dan

Dusty, Sounds to me that unloader is causing the damage if sample in bin is nearly perfect. Check earlier post on unloader for the transition area can cause damage to crop. Seems that the Hugger is rock solid for our problems have been almost none. There is a hood available for Hugger from Gleaner that folds down over the feeder area to prevent cobs from being spit out. There is no comparison from a old black header to a Hugger. Take care. Dan

Mark

I agree with Dan on this one i wouldn't go back to a black head if I had to. The hugger head leaves less of the stalk standing after the pass, and saves me from chopping stalks. I love it