Combines Rotor sep bar combo and schwerin separating grate help

Dan

Rolf, The only experance I have with the Schwerin grate is the early ones that had six inches between the cross bars instead of three like they have now. The old grate worked great down south but when they got up north it would not hold barley and had to be removed. It must of rolled the straw when it got over grate which trapped the seeds. I believe their new grate will have less tendency to do that but even with the gleaner grate in the new processors which has twice the crossbars it will roll straw and trap seeds. Also that separator grate will continue to thresh the already over threshed types of crops like conola which loads distribution augers and shoe very heavily. The only time I ever tried alternate height cylinder bars was many years ago in edible beans when they had mold in them and than nothing would work but to grind them threw. The cylinder bar height trick makes a lot of sense and I will try it on a newer processor that I haven't put a cover over the grate to see how it goes before I put one in old processor. I would go with Hypers' hi-low bars and try it. You can always remove some helicals from seperator belly for more seperation and running a couple reverse bars shouldn't hurt {but shouldn't be needed} as long as you have shimmed helicals or channel helicals.I believe Hyper was talking P3's when he said 2-6 half height bars instead of 8 in corn..I wish I could get a chance to try half height bars this season but I believe we are all done. I hope I didn't add any confustion. Good luck. Dan