Combines Need some Answers

Rolf_Hedt

G'day Kurt This might be still to expensive to do but we changed our 3_4 inch rasp bars over to 1_2 inch rasp in

Kenc

I added the extended cylinder bars as Hyper described-just remove every other discharge paddle, both pieces, lay a forward bar where the paddle was, mark it-you have to cut off a few inches to get the holes to line up, it will be about 3" short of the end when you bolt it on-it's easy and cheap and really helps in soybeans. I had one combine with duals and loved it-steady as a rock-I can't run duals now as I only have a 6rn corn head and their too wide. I run my spreader on the faster speed-even though the book says not to, and also have a chopper. It spreads better than any combine in the area, with the spreader pitch adjusted correctly I can cover the 25' perfectly.

Hyper_Harvest_II

Kurt, I agree with hyper harvest,spend your $500 on the chopper to help reduce size of material,this will definitely help with width of spread.As for the discharge end,find yourself four used forward bars and remove approx. 2 1_2"-3" of the cylinder bar so the threaded holes in cylinder bar line up with existing mouting holes on rotor.This will leave you the same 2 1_2"-3" short of the l.H. bearing end plate.Alternate the shortened cylinder bar with the existing discharge paddles.The idea behind doing this is to have the cylinder bars bring the material into discharge area,then let discharge paddles push it into impeller or chopper.With the factory setup in my opinion,the material coming through the rotor still has to be force fed into the discharge paddles when there is eight of them,creating once again a bottleneck.Ever since this rotary concept was developed,engineers have wanted to slow the material down at the discharge end,hoping to limit rotor loss.The only thing they are accomplishing is excessive H.P. consumption,material going around and around inside the cage(earthquake feeling),grinding material up and overloading l.H. side of shoe.Once you get the material moving through the cage,keep it moving at a uniform flow.That is why we are using the Hi-lo cylinder bar setup on the discharge end,to gentlely slow material and flip it to get better seperation over grate area.This is the forth year running this setup with good results in corn_soybean country.As for the duals vs. 30.5's,duals will be a lot more stable with a 30ft header,also they will carry more load than singles.Again,this is my opinion.I am sure there are others out there.Hyper Harvest II

Tom

I have a dual spreader on my R60. The slowest speed works well in corn6RN head. The next faster speed almost covers the ground behind a 25 bean head. Next year I will try the second fastest speed in beans. (There are 4 speeds) I have a chopper but I have never raised the concave (I think thats the name for those blades below the chopper) Tom Russell

john_keller

I am reading all these comments and I agree with most of them. I just wanted to caution you when extending cylinder bars on your own, it could weaken this area. I suggest adding another head or spider where you removed the cast wedge. This will add sufficient strength to this area.