Combines Who is the real enemyIJ

Kenc

I have felt problems are coming for some time. The Deere dealers around here have more used combines than they have lots for. The good sized operations are all on roll over programs, only problem is that their aren't enough farms that use the third generation roll overs. Most of the combines have 1000-2000 hrs on them, and I feel that's a tough age combine to move-too many hrs for large guys and too expensive for the small guys. Before I traded for my 62 I shoped the other brands. Almost had to change my phn because of the dealers begging to make a deal-mostly green ones-I can firmly say that their resale values have come down to earth quite quickly-I felt that GleanerandCIH had much higher resale values over all-once you started talking seriously.

Tom

One of the reasons for tons of green iron on dealers lots is the IRS crackdown on the JD lease exemption. The Wall Street Journal covered the story in depth some time ago. It seems that JD was smart enough to figure out how to get a tax advantage on lease programs that made their products more competitive. Apparently, they cant sell_lease as much iron without govt. help. Tom Russell

Combineman

It's going to nip us in the butt soon. There is a few dealers in Kansas that deal with the really big cutters who trade 8-12 machines each year. If you ever get to Kiowa or maybe Bucklin Kansas, take a look around town. It's loaded with Green paint that though it is only 2-4years old, it's practically useless. 2000hrs on a 9000 series is about it! In fact, I'm sticking my neck out here...most makes of combines with that many hours on it is about finished. The tin on my neghbors 94 Gleaner R72 was so thin at 900hrs, I thought I could easily put my fist through it. When we harvested, we ran mostly Case and Deere. We sold out in 94 and I'm convinsed, these new machines are no good much past 1800 hrs. I have a good friend who still makes a run every year with 4 9600's. He trades each year for year old machines that another cutter already ran. They have 800-900 hrs on them when he gets them. When he's done at the end of the year, they have 1600-1800hrs on them and are junk and he admited it. The cost then is still 95,000 to 105,000 U.S. CM

Dan

CM, What could ever wear thin on a Gleaner in 900 hrs. The 1_4 inch auger flighting, hardened steel inserts, stainless steel, and chrome plating in all key locations is just nicely shined up in our area with 900 hrs. and 1_3 of our acres are dirty dry edible beans. Your neighbor must have a ton of rocks going through his machine or something. I've been watching Gleaner for a lot of years and I believe they now have the roughest, toughest, most productive machines they have ever had. Have a good day. Dan

Dan

Ed, What crop do you think is so hard on that auger. Do you have extra bin extentions on that machine and are you sure you have the bin fill locked up in the operating position. There is a chrome plated auger available for that position and it has some extra flighting on it to help relieve the stress which should help in your condition. I do know that Gleaners wear too and I can't myself say if they wear slower than others but I can say they aren't finished at 1000 or 2000 or more hrs. Good day. Dan

Tom

Ed, are you replacing your auger with worn out used onesIJ Do you have a bearing in the end or is the auger rubbing on the tubeIJ You have an almost unheard-of problem. Tom Russell from MN the state where nothing is allowed.

Ed

Soybeans generate tho most wear, but then, soybeans are 60% of the acres I harvest.