Combines variable speed header belt wearing out

Tom

Now there are 2 of us with the same problem but I never suspected corn stalks. I replaced that belt on my R60 for other reasons and now the outside surface looks like a war zone. You may be on to something with a shield. lets hope someone has the answer. This is my first experience with BT corn. I wonder if those tough stalks are the culpritsIJ Tom Russell

Hyper_Harvest_II

Both of you are right about the cornstalks being the culprit on wearing the backing off of the belt.Usually it is more of a problem with the older style cornheads,because the hugger cornhead can chew the stalks closer to ground.Be creative on making a deflector,whether it is mounted to the cornhead frame or the combine feederhouse.Also,if you don't want to make a shield,May-Wes offers what they call Stalk-Stompers that mount to cornhead to knock stalks down.(Originally used to help save tires)This add on is kind of pricey at $303.00 for a set.Hope this help answer your questions,Hyper Harvest II

Dan

We had more trouble with that belt this year than any year in the past. I tore down torque sensor on a few machines and found one to be wore out from lack of grease and that was on machine doing 22 inch rows. The machines doing 30 inch rows had wet juice on sheaves from the green stalks. I bet a shield would of prevented failures. Dan