Combines N5 hydrostat

Tom

John, Sorry to hear about your troubles. Are you possibly running in a gear that is too high for operating conditionsIJ My friend had trouble with his and I think the reason was transporting uphill with a loaded hopper in high gear because he didnt want to park his trucks in low ground. The squealing hydro would have driven me up the wall. Tom Russell

Dan

John, What is failing in your hydroIJ Is something broke, scraped up, or strippedIJ Does hydro stall when turning or get jerkyIJ Does steering and all other hydralic functions work properlyIJ Is hydro charge pressure getting checked with steering in neutral and with wheel turned hardIJ Is RWA getting engaged on the goIJ We don't have any N5's or RWA's around here. I would bet you could find a salvaged N6 or N7 with a Denison Hydro to slip in but I'm not sure if RWA would need any changing. That hydro is much much stronger for the heavy loads. Good luck. Dan

Hyper_Harvest_II

John, I assume since you have a Dynapower 6x6 hydro that your combine ser. n is below 6200.Allis RWA's had a running change on the flow limiter piston snap ring.(The old style would sometimes have a small piece of snap ring break off and since the return oil from RWA goes back to hydro,it can cause many dollars worth of damage to hydro.Sad part is even some of the new style snap rings had the same thing happen.)There are four of these snap rings in the RWA valve.Definitely something to check.As for installing a different hydro,this can get pricey.(Rebuilt Denison's run $7500 plus)Another question is the RWA being turned on and off going through fieldIJThis causes the rotating group of the motor to be lifted off end plate causing it to be slammed back against end plate,which can result in small pieces of material to go floating through hyd. system.Also,is RWA being turned off at ground speeds above 10mphIJIf not,RWA motor turns 24 times 1 revolution of tire,this turns your RWA motor into a 70gpm pump.This can also destroy many things.Hopefully this gives you a few more things to check.Most farmers around here,since 1984 have been running the Gilcrest Pusher with very minimal problems.Hope this helps, Hyper Harvest II

John

Your's are good suggestions, thanks. We also wondered about disconnecting the hoses leadingto the RWA motors when not in use and taking the hubs out of gear. Would this be harmfulIJ

Hyper_Harvest_II

John, Unhooking the hoses would not hurt a thing.But,I would disconnect the hoses at the hydro and reinstall original plugs.This way you will not have any hoses that are being pressurized with oil.Also,don't forget to disconnect cgarge line coming from hyd. oil filter base.(Just remove in line tee and reconnect line.)And last but not least,do turn your caps around on RWA hub to disconnect them also. Thanks, Hyper Harvest II