Combines Cat lexion goes head to head against R72

Kenc

I need details. I have read this ate for lunch story before. No one ever seems to have the specifics though.

Combineman

Well, I know a Gleaner can do a clean job. I also know a Case can do a good clean job. Know what elseIJ....A Deere does a good clean job. I've put no less than 15,000hrs running all sorts of combines and I'm only 32 years old. I know that doesn't qualify me as a great expert, but it does qualify me to speak some. The mach. is only as good as the person who sets it and runs it. Year after year, I've seen Deeres..both 20 series and 9000 series put wheat in the bin that was below 2_10ths of one persent trash_dockage. This year we ran 4.9-5.0 mph with a 30' in 60-70bu_ac. wheat. If there was even 1 percent out the back, I nor the farmer couldn't find it. I've seen Cases and Gleaners also do the same type of quality. I've also seen them do such a lousy job, It turned my stomach. For years, I've heard the same story everywhere I go.....This farmer will never allow a Deere back in his field. Down the road 5 miles, another says the same about a Case. Then about a Gleaner...so on and so on....I have a book 3 inches thick full of names of farmers from Texas to Canada, Montana, No. Dakota and Idaho. I've heard it all in 20 years of chasing the wheat harvest. CM

Combineman

When we custom harvested out on the road, (that ended in 94),we used to cut around 10,000-14,000ac. of Malt Barley for Busch up in Idaho. Some for malting and some for certified seed. Busch guys were right there in the field. Your right, No John Deeres allowed! Thats why we ran as many as 6 Case IH. We've also ran NH and even demoed a Gleaner. (it did a great job in malt barley) lack of Dealers along our harvest route detered us from owning a Gleaner. Now for the Cat vs. Gleaner. The conversation lasted about 10 minutes and I haven't talked to him since. Personally, I think the Cat is a "maintenance nightmare" waiting to happen. There is enough lines, hoses and wireing to go around a football field three times. The Represenitive I talked to said "but it all works". RIGHT. Sorry, I didn't mean to strike a nerve here on the Gleaner board. There is things I like and hate about all makes of combines. CM