Combines Next Generation Gleaner Idea

Tom

Hey Tom, I want to sign up for one--the Gleaner, not the also-ran. Tom Russell

Rick

Tom i think that John Keller and larry James are listening. I think they have got the concave adjustment in the new machines for next year. I like the idea of the heads up display. One more thing i would like to see is a boost gauge.

T__langan

Glad to hear that larry James is still working for Gleaner. I was fortunate enough to sit at the same table with him for lunch back in '89 after touring the Independence, MO combine plant. Very interesting fellow to talk combines with! Tom langan

Combineman

You just gave me the scare of my life.......I've been trucking for a few days and just now fired up the Comp. again. Now for the scary part.....yesterday I was thinking a "what if" about doubling gleaners capacity. I was thinging a wider feeder house to move more material to the "twin" rotors at the back. If they could divide the crop eqaully. Talk about coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Boy, I must be psychic! CM

Kenc

Do we really need any more capacityIJ I personally don't see that as a needed improvement with the mods I've done. I think it would be tough to seperate a straw crop after it has been cramed into the feeder house.

T__langan

Kenc - I hear what you are saying about the capacity issue. I think AGCO needs to incorporate some, if not all of the mods from Tom, Dan, and the two Hypers, and getting all they can from the current design before thinking about a redesign. But the need for more capacity in the future is inevitable. Gleaner has a 54 ft draper header out west right now. Remember when Bill Gates said 640K of memory is all anyone will EVER needIJ The feeder house issue is another good point - might need a wider one for more material intake. BUT, look at the feeder house width of an R50_52 - they look quite narrow but they can take a lOT up. I am also a big fan of the Deutz engine, but I don't foresee Gleaner going back to them. From what I've heard, Deutz can't (or won't) make engines that comply with the new emmisions laws here in the U.S. They are also getting to be VERY expensive to fix, but there are some aftermarket parts suppliers. I happened to mention my idea of the H.U.D. (heads up disply) to an engineer at a Gleaner open house about five years ago. He said they have toyed with the idea, but the display was too hard to see in certain conditions. I mentioned it again this past summer to another engineer at another open house. He just kind of grinned and said in a couple of years they are comming out with a new cab. He didn't actually say they were using the H.U.D., but I got that impression. He also said something about fiber optics being used for something too. If they DO use a H.U.D., it would probably need to be designed so the display brightness and_or color could be easily changed as conditions change. Should be interesting to see what they come up with! Tom langan

T__langan

Kenc - I hear what you are saying about the capacity issue. I also think AGCO needs to incorporate some, if not all of the mods from Tom, Dan, and the two Hypers before thinking about a redesign. But the need for more capacity in the future is inevitable. Gleaner has a 54 ft draper header out west right now. Remember when Bill Gates said 640K of memory is all anyone will EVER needIJ The feeder house issue is another good point - might need a wider one for more material intake. BUT, look at the feeder house width of an R50_52 - they look quite narrow but they can take a lOT up. I am also a big fan of the Deutz engine, but I don't foresee Gleaner going back to them. From what I've heard, Deutz can't (or won't) make engines that comply with the new emmisions laws here in the U.S. They are also getting to be VERY expensive to fix, but there are some aftermarket parts suppliers. I happened to mention my idea of the H.U.D. (heads up disply) to an engineer at a Gleaner open house about five years ago. He said they have toyed with the idea, but the display was too hard to see in certain conditions. I mentioned it again this past summer to another engineer at another open house. He just kind of grinned and said in a couple of years they are comming out with a new cab. He didn't actually say they were using the H.U.D., but I got that impression. He also said something about fiber optics being used for something too. If they DO use a H.U.D., it would probably need to be designed so the display brightness and_or color could be easily changed as conditions change. Should be interesting to see what they come up with! Tom langan

T__langan

Combineman - what do you look likeIJ Maybe we are identical twins seperated at birth with a psychic connection or something. Someone else who looks exactly like me - now THAT'S scary!! Tom langan