Combines 1977 M 2 ModsIJ

tbran

OK let me shake out the cobwebs and remember. Your problem could be as simple as turning up the air to the 5-7 and opening up your chaffer to 5_8". Your clean sample could be coming from "sizing" rather than "air suspention" as gleaners are designed to do. Closing down your air choke will let the material "coat" the top chaffer and block all the air off and you will "walk" out grain not blow it out. To get any capacity you MUST use a long tooth chaffer rather than the std. one. If you open to 1_2 " to a max of 3_4" with an air setting of 5-7 you will have more capacity on the shoe than the walkers. In 180bu corn 5mph or therabouts on level ground will produce walker loss with a 4 row head. Moisture will affect max. speed as will varieties. Now lets check problems. You could have an air choke that is not opening level and completely. You might have a fan that is coated or blades twisted from end to end. CHECK THAT SPlITTER. Splitter must be level and parallel to fan. There are line up holes to check this as you should be able to look from one side to the other and see the leading edge of the splitter in the small inspection hole. We did have some problems in this area but the advent of the aluminum extruded splitter solved most all air problems. If air still seems to be the problem secure an air gauge or make a small pendelum type of device to measure air flow and after making sure fan rpm is 1050-1100 rpm no load check the air flow out of both fan ducts. (pleaseuse common sense and take the chains off walker and shoe drives!!!!!!!! failure to do so will get you your sign. be safe!) If one side receives more air than other recheck splitter or baffles in air ducts. Front walker extentions can put more load on walkers and less on shoe. I think they are avail through parts and I like them on the front of the outside walkers on hillside operation.If you can ever find a "long shoe" out of a '81or later M2 m3 latch on to it! It will bolt in but make sure you get both screens. Refer to my comments on f2 capacity for other tips that apply as to beater speed up, feeder btr. etc. Remove the metal flap over the raddle for corn and beans. All walkers are the same length on l- m'slapped filler bars with high profile concave on door will let you shell corn whole cob (again moisture - variety will vary) and give most capacity. Walker screens should be checked to make sure they are intact. And thats all I know about that....good luck. gump, I mean tbran

Tom

Just a little clarification for the metal flap over the separator raddle. later l_M combines had 3 positions: low was for small grains; mid, for beans, and high was for corn. Early combines had only 2 positions and there might have been a bulletin for adding the mid position. We rigged up a rod 3_8 (or maybe it was 5_16) by the width of the separator housing to be the stop instead of a cap screw on each side. With a little ingenuity, you can ad a device on one end to lock the rod in place with a hairpin clip. We did this to reduce the time required for changing positions. Tom Russell